Sound upgrade for my main computer?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited December 2005 in Hardware
I've been using the same set of Dell factory Harman / Kardon speakers for 4 years, and they've always worked good. But the end of the cable that plugs into the motherboard sound output jack has gotten broken wires internally, because I move the speaker jack between computers when fixing them and testing them for sound.

So I'll need to get a new set of speakers soon. Want to get a pair to sit on either side of the monitor. Any idea what might be a good brand of speakers to get? And estimated price?

The motherboard in my main computer system is an Abit NF7 Version 2. It runs with an AMD Athlon XP Barton core 2500+ overclocked to 2.2, and 768 MB PC3200. When I built it, I plugged the speaker wire into the on board sound jack, and it was a big improvement in sound quality over the Dell Dimension 2100 I had prior to that.

I have several available PCI slots, so I was wondering if an add on sound card would make much difference. Nothing too expensive, maybe $50 maximum.

Comments

• rc1974rc1974 Grand Junction, CO
    edited December 2005
    Tim,

Save your money and stick with the onboard sound. I rebuilt my folks computer with an Abit VA-20 which I believe uses the same sound setup as the Abit NF7. Sound quality is good and they only have cheap $15 speakers.

I'm using Creative Labs 5.1 speakers now, but before that I was using some Altec-Lansing speakers.

As for the speakers you currently have, do they attach to the monitor? I'm sure you could find a decent set on E-Bay... or even one of the -Mart stores.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Anyone else have any thoughts on this?