Cant install windows on sata drive

edited December 2005 in Hardware
Recently i had a virus of some kind messages poping on in windows and some how it also disabled task manager and changed my account from admin to limited use. So i decided to reformat, but its an sata drive. I load the the drivers from a floppy when the windows xp cd is loading so it will see the drive, but when it starts the actual windows install it tells me it cant copy those files.

I have tried 4 different floppies, deleted partation many times and created a new one, still same problem. I was thinking of deleting the MBR but how can i do that on a sata drive when i need the drivers from the floppy to make the drive show up.

Its a western digital 74g raptor drive, i have installed windows on this drive many times without ever having this problem before, any ideas?? could my mbr be jacked up, and how do i get to it?

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    MBR doesn't make any difference, that just holds boot information and wouldn't affect anything like this.

When you tell it to load the drivers from a floppy disk, do you make sure you specify all the correct drivers when it reaches that point? As it isn't enough just to hit F6, it will then ask you later and you need to press S and then pick out the drivers available on the floppy disk.
  • edited December 2005
    Enverex wrote:
    MBR doesn't make any difference, that just holds boot information and wouldn't affect anything like this.

When you tell it to load the drivers from a floppy disk, do you make sure you specify all the correct drivers when it reaches that point? As it isn't enough just to hit F6, it will then ask you later and you need to press S and then pick out the drivers available on the floppy disk.

yes i do load them after i hit F6 a prompt comes up to insert the disk with the drivers i do that and choose the xp drivers, and it then continues to the point where it shows you your drives where you can choose to install, format, delete/create partations. they work up to that point if i skip loading the drivers off the floppy it doesnt show any drives when i get to that point, so i know the drivers work up to that point.

when i go to install xp on the sata drive, it starts to copy the files it needs for the install(after i create a partation and after it formats) it then comes up with a warning saying the drivers i loaded earlier fasttrk.sys(to load the sata drive) failed to copy. if i skip the file at this point it will copy the rest of the files and reboot to try to continue with the install but it cant at this point because the drive is no longer visible becasue the drivers could not be copied.