Suggestion for rig

GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
edited December 2005 in Hardware
Hi, im actually helping a friend of mine who wants to buy a new PC and dont want it to cost a arm and a leg. He knowns nothing about hardware and wont do overclock at all.

He wants to do some gaming but it's not an intense gamer who wants top of the line graphics

I've just build a new PC for myself but i was always searching for 'top of the line' hardware pieces so im a little lost with middle range :confused:

I've recommand him to buy this but there's some pieces i don't realy know wich to suggest :

AMD 3500+
1 gig dual channel OCZ RAM (can you suggest one that is fairly cheap priced OCZ ram for the quality ?... )
Antec TruePower 2.0 430w

Motherboard : i dunno wich is the best out of the box for standard PC without OC =/

For the GPU i would like to suggest him a 'cheap' 256 meg... is a card like the ATI X600PRO a good choice ? or maybe i'll be better with a ATI 9800 wich seems to be a pretty good card but only had 128meg...

He wants to keep his computer for 4 years so i want to give him something he will have fun with 'til that time, maybe he wont run next years game without dropping the video settings at lower state but he doesnt care he will still play with 'this year' games lol

Thankx for the help

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited December 2005
    The 9800 pro is faster and mb DOESNT MATTER

heres a low end gaming pc

Radeon 9800pro 256bit (or spend a bit more and get a x800gt)
    Asus Av8
    Antec case (make sure it has a smart power antec psu)
    1gb ocz value
    3700+ sandeigo
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited December 2005
    Thankx a lot GrayFox !
    edited December 2005
    Ok, first after a quick look at the mb, is AV8 and A8V the same ?

Second, i think he can afford money to buy this sapphire x800 GTO video card.

But this one is PCI-E , and i've found some article about AV8 but it seems old and it not seems to support PCI-E. However, I've found some reviews about Asus A8V Deluxe who's supporting PCI-E, is this the mb i should recommand him ? Sorry for the question but the mispelling in the names confused me :scratch:

Thankx
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    go to anandtech.com
    check out some of the system guides there.
    I don't always agree with their hardware choices, but they explain the trade offs and give you options.

http://anandtech.com/guides/

The GTO looks like a nice card. Don't forget the nVidia GS cards too.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited December 2005
    Sorry I ment A8v.

If he wants pci express get something by dfi then :).
    edited December 2005
    Well , at first he didnt even know about the meaning of PCI-E, to be honest i don't think he knows what PCI is... lol ;D

But i've explain him that if he can afford it, a 256meg PCI-E will be a most for his computer in the year(s) to come as i don't think he will even want to change a hardware piece his in cpu.

DFI board is realy NICE (when you find good drivers for YOUR rig :rolleyes:) I had one in mine and im completly satisfied with it. But is this board a little useless for someone who don't even know about the meaning or the presence of a BIOS in a computer ? :rolleyes:

If i suggest him to buy this board im pretty sure i'll have to go at his home to flash his bios to a newer version cuz shipped bios version is a real crap lol

Its an 'online' friend and he lives pretty far away from MY home so if i can find an easier altenative i'll suggest him that, unless the only good alternative is the DFI for PCI-E :p i don't want him to have bad experience because he knows nothing about computer hardware and 'how it works' ;)
    edited December 2005
    Okay , he decided to go with the saph 256meg x800 GTO2, so on your recommandations i chose DFI NF4 LANPARTY mb for his rig...

He also decide he can put more money on RAM so i've chose to go with PC3200 from OCZ :)

So now the rig looks like this :

3700+ 2.2 ghz sandeigo (Rev E)
    Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO2 256MB 256BIT GDDR3 PCI-E VGA DVI TV-OUT OEM Video Card
    OCZ EL PC3200 1GB 2X512MB DDR400 CL2-3-2-6 184PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit W/ Ramsink
    Antec Sonata II Black ATX 16IN Mid Tower Quiet Case 3X5.25 2X3.5 4X3.5IN 450W Air Duct 120MM Fan
    DFI NF4 LAN PARTY

But, then i had a flashback of something, i had chose a Antec Sonata II, this comes with a 450w PSU ... great but i think DFI board have problem with PSU that are not native 24pin or something like that... I can't find if thie PSU would do nice with DFI (if its 24pin), but i don't think so...

So, will it be more secure to go with a more basic case without PSU and put a 24pin psu in it ? Or will the sonata II do the job ?

If i go for a case without PSU and add a good 24pin PSU than it will raise the cost again and i think he reach the maximum he can pay for... :shakehead

Any help or advice on this situation will be more than appreciated :)

EDIT : if this can't do the job i'll maybe thinking about changing the mb for a asus AV8 and chose a none-PCIE video card... :shakehead
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Check the full specs of the Antec cases. Some of the newer nice models have the 2.0 PSU spec and have a 24 pin. But you can still run it with a 20 pin PSU like I did with my Antec 480 Truepower when I mande the switch. Lemonlime did the same and had no issues either.
    edited December 2005
    OH YES !

I've finaly found the section i was looking for in antec web site lol

If the 'special v2.01' smartpower 450w psu that they put in the sonata II is like the smartpower sp450 its 24 pin :D

'24-pin power connector with detachable 4-pin section for backwards compatibility with ATX 20-pin motherboards. '

My only question is : if it has a 4pin detachable part, can it be considered as 24pin native ? lol

I know a lot of people don't have a 24pin native psu with DFI board but if i can avoid problems for my friend i will, if it's computer don't run fast & sweet i'll be the one he will call to change the situation so i don't want him to call everyday hah ;)