Hard Drive Crash - HELP

dodododo Landisville, PA
edited December 2005 in Hardware
Recently my power supply was dipping too low on the 5V line, so I RMA'd it and got a good one. Now, when I start up my computer, my secondary harddrive starts going through check disk (windows was not shut down properly, blah blah blah). The problem is that it is finding errors on practically every track. After seeing these errors i shut down the system, and did not let checkdisk finish. I figuer there's a major problem with the partition information; I would guess the drive is fine. My question is, should I let checkdisk find and fix all the errors? Or should I attempt to recover the data another way first?

~dodo

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    I would let chkdsk finish.
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited December 2005
    Ok, well I went to run chkdsk, but now the drive is no longer being seen by windows. It is detected by the bios, but it gets an error message about a problem with SMART. I attempted to use the windows recovery tool but that was unable to see the drive as well. Any suggested next steps to recover the data?

~dodo
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited December 2005
    find a copy of BartPE and you can use that ( the drive explorer ) to transfer data from 1 drve to another and if you have the nic drivers on the disk you can even use the command prompt in BPE to create a share on another machine and tranfer data accordingly if bartPE dosnt see your drive its completely dead.