Work bonus = Vapochill LS

lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
edited March 2006 in Hardware
Well, I had been eyeing one of these for over a year now, and I finally decided to go for it. I just got my year-end bonus at work, and I decided to click the check-out button :D

I just received word that there is a 37lb package heading my way via UPS :o

Any other phase-change owners around willing to share some tips?

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    What rig are you going to be overclocking?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited December 2005
    edcentric wrote:
    What rig are you going to be overclocking?

My main rig:

Opteron 148
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D
    2x512MB OCZ Platinum Rev.2
    ATI X850XT
    2x WD360s
    PCP&C 510 Express
    Lian-LI PC65B
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Now we are talking Lemon!

That thing will fit your Lian like a hand in a glove.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    woof!
    That is going to be impressive.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited December 2005
    w00t

I love phase change... Used to play with a homebuilt R404A chiller back in the day. Haven't had time or money for it lately, but I'm leaning towards a VC LS some time early next year. Looks like such a great unit, and I've always had a lot of respect for Asetek's products... Even if my R404A whooped the crap out of the original VapoChills. :D

Grats on the purchase... It'll be a lot of fun, I'm sure. Definitely keep us posted, I am particularly interested in your unbiased experiences and results.
    edited December 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    w00t

I love phase change... Used to play with a homebuilt R404A chiller back in the day. Haven't had time or money for it lately, but I'm leaning towards a VC LS some time early next year. Looks like such a great unit, and I've always had a lot of respect for Asetek's products... Even if my R404A whooped the crap out of the original VapoChills. :D

Grats on the purchase... It'll be a lot of fun, I'm sure. Definitely keep us posted, I am particularly interested in your unbiased experiences and results.

I can't wait to get it setup. The LS seems like a great unit. Everything is included and it seems like a reliable and good performing unit. I just hope my opteron won't be plagued by the dreaded 'cold bug'. Since I'm pretty new to phase, I just wanted something pre-fab. Sounds like a pretty cool setup you had! any pictures?

I'll definitely be posting my progress as I go :)
    edited December 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    Now we are talking Lemon!

That thing will fit your Lian like a hand in a glove.

It sure does look really sweet on the PC65B! :D

image.php?productid=3150
    edited December 2005
    omg teh vapo is here!!11

:D
    edited December 2005
    Ohemgee!!!

Hurry up and assembly that monster. I wanna know everything :D
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited December 2005
    you lucky bugger :)

Enjoy it.
    edited December 2005
    I spent about the better part of yesterday night installing the vapo and it is up and running :D

Here are some pics of my progress..

First was the case tear down, which is never terribly fun. Here's a before pic of the massive XP90:

Third pic is of the paper template they provide for modding the case bottom. I found it very difficult to line up properly.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    NICE! :thumbsup:
    edited December 2005
    Next, I spent some quality time with my friend the dremmel. I'm no expert with it, but I must say.. cutting the aluminum PC65 is MUCH easier than my old 100lb antec steel case.

Cutting the evaporator entrance was very easy, but I spent over an hour trying to get the holes lined up properly. Everytime I test-fit it on the vapo, it was not straight. TIP: Cut much larger holes than necessary, this allows you to shift the case around a bit before screwing in the large thumbscrews.

I was pleased with the final result.. it looked pretty clean. I used some of the 'sharp edge' guard plastic from the other side of the lian-li to protect the vapo cables.

I finally got a good straight fit as you can see in the last image.
    edited December 2005
    Next, I began prepping the mainboard. In the first image, you can see the rear socket heater applied to a thick piece of insulation. The mounting posts screw into the metal back plate.

It was painful to fill the socket pin holes with thermal paste. I used the goop supplied by astek. It seems identical in consistancy to arctic cermaic that I used previously.
    edited December 2005
    Astek recommended using all of the supplied thermal goop, which seemed like far too much to me. I put an awful lot on the cpu at first, but I actually skimmed it down a bit before the installation.

Next, I assembed the mainboard frontal insulation. I had to cut it a bit to clear one of the mosfet sinks and a capacitor. Once the second piece is on, only the CPU IHS is exposed. It does not fit tightly, but once the evaporator is mounted, it is squeezed to form a tight seal.
    edited December 2005
    Nice pics!

You need to write up a full review - the main page needs content!

You did a great job on the mating of the cases. They really do go together like prof and snuffie, or peanut butter and jelly if you prefer the more archaic terms.
    edited December 2005
    Assembling the CPU clam shell unit is tricky. It took me a while to get it right, but it is just one of those things that would be easier if you had three hands. Getting the heating element placed around the insulation requires some manual dexterity :)

Once I had the evap ready to go, mounting was very easy. It requires a bit of pressure, but the spring system is very similar to the dangerden waterblock retention systems. I removed it after the first try to check the IHS contact, and it was perfect the first try! astek really did a fantastic job with their mounting system. It works wonderfully. Once the evap is secured, the insulation is squeezed to form a good seal.
  • edited December 2005
    Cool!

I love the thread so far! Keep up the good work LL.
    edited December 2005
    I sort of make-shift mounted the chill control board, as it was 2:00am and I needed some sleep. I couldn't wait until tomorrow to start it up though, so I went ahead. I havent done much with it yet, but the initial results look good :D

It does not take long for the unit to reach -10 up and start up the PC. I'd guess around 30 seconds or so. Once fully warmed up, the evaportator reaches -50 degrees. The CPU temperature at idle was around -30. Load temps on this bloody hot opteron are about -5 to -1 degrees. huge delta there.

More pics and info to come..

:D
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited December 2005
    Cool;)

What did that opteron previously o/c too on air?? i.e. how much further can you o/c it now it's on vapo cooling?
  • rykoryko new york
    edited December 2005
    oooooohhhh.........vapochill is awesome. looks like a ton of fun. i always wanted to get into water or phase change cooling, but everytime i have enough money for a setup i always seem to end up with a expensive video card or whole other system! :)

and i am with jimborae.....what was your max oc on air and now on vapochill? keep up the good work!
    edited December 2005
    Nice clock!

I think you got lucky and found a cpu without the coldbug as well mate.
    I heard the noise is awful on the LS, any truth in that?
    edited December 2005
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Nice pics!

You need to write up a full review - the main page needs content!

You did a great job on the mating of the cases. They really do go together like prof and snuffie, or peanut butter and jelly if you prefer the more archaic terms.

;D .. Thanks, I always get nervous when I have to break out the dremmel, but I think it turned out well. I'll have to get everything installed properly and maybe I'll put something more formal together :)
    Jimborae wrote:
    What did that opteron previously o/c too on air?? i.e. how much further can you o/c it now it's on vapo cooling?

I literally spent 5 minutes and came up with 3.2GHz using the same vcore that I used to obtain 2.9GHz on air (1.55V). 2.9 was not terribly stable though due to almost 60 degree load temps. 3.2 seems like a piece of cake on the vapo, and it has been priming for several hours now. This opty badly needs it's IHS removed. Evaporator temp is -42 at load, but the chip still climbs into the positive single digit temps (+3 degrees or so). I checked the evaporator contact several times, and it is making perfect contact on the IHS. I think this is a common problem that people are seeing on these opterons. I'd be nervous popping the IHS though, the vapo needs some pressure to mount and I'd be worry about crushing the SOI core.

I'm thinking ~1.65V would be a safe 24/7 vcore on phase, but I'm not sure.. I'm hoping for at least 3.3 so that I can run my TCCD 1:1 at 11x300 :)
    edited December 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    Nice clock!

I think you got lucky and found a cpu without the coldbug as well mate.

Definitely lucky, I was really worried about the cold bug, but it seems totally stable, even when sitting idle for long periods of time. It ran about -30 at stock clocks and didn't skip a beat.
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    I heard the noise is awful on the LS, any truth in that?

It may not be terribly loud as far as dBA readings, but the compressor is fairly high pitched and has an annoying harmonic to it. The fans are very quiet, and I can barely hear them, but the compressor is very noticable. Luckily I'm not terribly sensitive to noise, but I'm sure it would drive a lot of people nuts :)
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    awesome job man, need to water cool that chipset and graphics now. :thumbsup:
    edited December 2005
    ' wrote:
    [V][AGIC']awesome job man, need to water cool that chipset and graphics now. :thumbsup:

I still have all of my h2o gear.. I'm tempted :D case is getting cramped though..
    edited December 2005
    Looking even better :D

It was craving more volts.. needed a jump from 1.55 to 1.65 to get from 3.2 to 3.3.. I have a feeling it won't dance any higher but I will try.. stay tuned :D

Memory is still running on a divider, but I really hope it will run 1:1 with my TCCD @ 300MHz.. :cool:

Evaporator is holding strong at -42C, CPU temp is reported as between -3 and +3.. however I believe these sensors do not operate reliably below zero. I'd imagine the actual CPU temp is much lower.
    edited December 2005
    Well, I went for the gusto, and I was not disappointed.. 11x300MHz 1:1 no problemo :D Check out those benchies..

This machine feels very quick.. windows starts up very quickly.. time to do some gaming :D
    edited December 2005
    WOW! :thumbsup:
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    great job dude.