Options

Auto/Random restarts after updates

edited December 2005 in Hardware
After updating my video card and sound card drivers with MANY faults each time I finally got it. I am thinking that the new updates are causing this. Do you guys think so?? It happens like twice a day

Comments

• edited December 2005
    bump.

anyone exp. this kinda stuff?
  • rykoryko new york
    edited December 2005
    complete specs please...and what do you mean exactly...be as clear as possible. what exactly is happening twice a day?
  • edited December 2005
    After doing the video and sound card updates (about 4-5 times try for each) I finally got it to do good. The ATI drivers from their site where not working for me so i used the Omega ATi drivers which work fine. The sound card I used the ones on their site and a coulple of times it didnt work b.c of some files not totally being removed I believe, so i went through some time getting that to work. After doing these updates my PC has been randomly restarting by itself, I would say about 2 times a day. I am guessing its the updates?

AMD 2400+ OEM
    Asus A7N8X-Xseries
    Rosewell 450W PSU
    DVD-RW
    DVD-Rom
    SB Audigy 2 ZS
    ATI Radeon 9600XT
  • rykoryko new york
    edited December 2005
    random restarts makes me automatically think memory or psu. but since it started after all of this software then that seems like the probable culprit.

if you can eliminate the software as the source, then random restart are usually memory or psu related...memtest and $5 psu tester might be a good idea...later

so when your pc isn't restarting itself...do your video and sound cards work properly?

as in did the driver installs finally work? for ati CCC (catalyst control center) you need to have MS .net installed. the ati CCP (catalyst control panel) doesn't require .net. not sure about omega drivers requirements though.

all of that being said, i would go to the add/remove programs menu, remove any and all entries related to ati and creative. turn off the pc, pull the 9600xt and the audigy2 from the mobo. restart the mobo with no video or sound card attached. it will beep for no video. turn off pc. install 9600xt only and attach monitor cable. boot to windows. cancel any hardware found wizard. install/update MS .net if needed. fresh install of ATI 5.11 CCC drivers form ATI website. restart. make sure video drivers work. turn off. install audigy2 with no cables attached. boot to windows. cancel any hardware found wizard. fresh install of creatives newest drivers from their website. restart and attach spkr cables. things should work....if not move on to memtest and $5 psu tester...