4400= X2 running at 30C Air Cooled!

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited December 2005 in Hardware
Well I just installed a new AMD Athlon X2 4400+ with a Zalman 7700CU cooler and this bad boy is running at 30C

Comments

• sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited December 2005
    awesome congrats! :)
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Cool! (hehe)
    What temps do you get under load?
    What is the default voltage and frequency and multiplier?

Congrats! :thumbsup:
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited December 2005
    Is the 4400+ worth it? Is dual core as awesome as it sounds, or should I stick with single?

I've been using a 2.8c @ 3.2 or so for a few years, so I'm used to the Hyperthreading. But if a single 4000+ can keep up well enough... I'm not sure I could justify it.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    I just upgraded this comp form a 4000+ to a 4400+ X2 and man what a differance. I just played to full games of BF2 and the CPU never peaked 35C I was even running to instances of Folding in the background while playing! .....

What is the default voltage and frequency and multiplier?

1.34Volts
    Im running stock 200 x 11 but my front side is opnly at 849Mhz, it looks as if I can boost it to about 240's x 11 = 2.64Ghz without having to boost voltage!
    edited December 2005
    here is some CPU-Z info!
    edited December 2005
    The temps at Cores running 98% and 99%
    temp.jpg 107.4K
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited December 2005
    Wow, that really is running cool! what are the temperatures in the room?

That runs significantly cooler than my single core opteron (even at stock).. hard to believe there are two chips under that heat spreader :D
    edited December 2005
    the room temp is probably around 75 ish! it depends on how many comps I have running. But yes I am very surprised on the temps I am getting out of this monster. I have been running to instances of folding all night... I am wondering.... If I just run 1 instance will it fold faster?
    edited December 2005
    I am wondering.... If I just run 1 instance will it fold faster?

Nope, not with a dual core. Its literally like having two CPUs, so if you kill one instance, you are only using 50% of the chips potential.

The P4 hyperthreading works a little different. If you run one instance you use about 75% of the CPU's potential, and if you use two, you get 100%.
    edited December 2005
    Is F@H going to make a multi threaded version... so 2 cpu's can work on 1 WU....now that would be awesome!
    edited December 2005
    Is F@H going to make a multi threaded version... so 2 cpu's can work on 1 WU....now that would be awesome!

That would be cool, WUs would be finished pretty fast in that case!.. However I think that it may actually be more efficient to have two separate instances. I guess it all depends how they program it. I would love to see FAH take advantage of SSE2/SSE3 on AMD procs. It seems that they only optimize for P4's.. It would also be pretty cool to see some 64-bit WUs too for those with the environments to support them.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    35C is pretty normal on those low volts actually. But it does mean you have great contact between the cpu and heatsink. You should easily be able to do 2.5 ghz with 1.4-1.42 volts i think.
    edited December 2005
    Is there and IHS on that thing?
    edited December 2005
    Ihs???
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited December 2005
    integrated heat spreader, the metal thingy that covers the cores on modern processors. It's supposed to spread the heat coming off the core out and give a better interface with the heatsink but most people have found that by taking the IHS off and allowing the heatsink to connect directly with the core they can shave several degrees off their temps.
    edited December 2005
    AHHH! I just have never seen the abrivation for that..:) most people I deal with call it the CPU Cap.

but yes My cpu still has the IHS on it.
    edited December 2005
    lol I jump on VPN to my computer at home and it's core temp right now as we speak is 27C now that is cold for a stock CPU on air cooling I don't care what you say :)
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited December 2005
    you suck and I say that out of pure envy! :D
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    My Gaming computer has a stock cooler on the CPU (AMD 64 3000+) and it normally runs at around 25C.
    With a load on it that goes up to 29/30C. It's in a thermaltake case with 7 fans in it, so that obviously helps :D
    The downside to keeping it cool is the noise...oh the noise.....
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Sledge, what case temperatures do you have?
    edited December 2005
    lol I jump on VPN to my computer at home and it's core temp right now as we speak is 27C now that is cold for a stock CPU on air cooling I don't care what you say :)

What's the temp once you power it on though? ;D j/k

Great job!
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited December 2005
    just looked at mine and its 27* C also! And my cpu's performance is right up there with you guys ;D