Firewire just quits recognizing stuff (?)

edited December 2005 in Hardware
(posting this here as well as hardware because im working on a short schedule and so far no response in hardware)

Hey guys,

I've not used firewire very extensively so I'm not sure how far this problem dates back, but it seems like it's been this way since I put the card in. My computer has for some reason decided to stop recognizing firewire devices once they've been in use. I don't remember if it always happens this way, but most recently I was using a camera and while i was using a capture program (not capturing, just previewing) the computer locked up. Upon restart, firewire refuses to acknowledge that there is a camera attached. I've tried restarting over again, using different ports, nothing. One thing of note is that last time this happened, My computer stopped recognizing the camera I was using, so I plugged in a different one and it recognized that camera, for a limited time. Then it stopped recognizing that one too. In this recent case I was using yet another camera when the lock up occurred. Device manager says everything is working properly, it just Won't recognize these cameras once i've used them for a bit. Anybody have any idea what to do?

Thanks in advance

PS - just plugged in one of the cameras that formerly stopped working. No change.

Comments

• edited December 2005
    Okay I posted yesterday about a problem i was having where my computer refused to recognize that cameras were plugged in through firewire. Well as it turns out, it refuses to acknowledge these cameras on USB as well. Which got me to thinking.. I was for a time running a less than legal copy of Sony's video editing software, and I believe it may have somehow figured out it was illegal and messed with my registry. All of the cameras that my computer refuses to recognize are Sony products. I have a digital camera that isnt a sony and the computer will recognize it. It just won't recognize any of the sony cameras. Is this possible? If so, how would i fix the problem?