memory problem!

edited December 2005 in Hardware
amd2500+ on a gigabyte 7n400L board running on kingston 256x2

keep getting a blue screen when i put in 2 more sticks of kingstonVR 256 ram. (KVR333x64C25/256).. sometimes it just says driver error rebooting, sometimes i get PFN_LIST_CORRUPT.

i really dont know what to do. it works fine in safe mode. im using the latest drivers from nvidia's nforce.

maybe i should be using something else?

Comments

• edited December 2005
    man.. bump! can anyone help?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    are they all non-registered non-buffered ram?
    Do the 2 new sticks work int he rig when they are alone together?

You could run memtest86 on each set of sticks and if they all work ok then run it again with them all together. You may need some bios adjustments but I'm not familiar w/ that board.
  • edited December 2005
    the last 2 sticks were from a friend who bought the same computer with me from this lan center that was closing down a few months ago. he pretty much sold everything and gave me the extra ram. the last time i ran memtest everything was fine. everytime i get bsod its because of a driver.. or so it says.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    JCavero wrote:
    ...everytime i get bsod its because of a driver.. or so it says.
    Can you give us the full error message on the bsod?

A memory fault is almost always either bad memory (which memtest indicates is not your problem), or a driver trying to access a memory range reserved for something else. With the full error message we can probably figure out which particular driver you need to look at.
  • edited December 2005
    by the time the error displays it disappears just as quick. all i notice are the few words on the upper left.
    edited December 2005
    JCavero wrote:
    by the time the error displays it disappears just as quick. all i notice are the few words on the upper left.
    Right-click "My Computer", then go to Advanced>>>Startup and Recovery>>>Settings and uncheck the "Automatically Restart" box.

That should give you all the time you need. :thumbsup:
  • edited December 2005
    ok. here are some pics, i tried uninstalling the drivers i had for the mobo and added the latest nforce2 ones.. 5.10 as if that did anything.. but yea, still having same problem. i really dont want to resort to formatting or whatever :/
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited December 2005
    If you're booting and getting in to safe mode OK, the fault seems to lead to a driver problem rather than hardware. But....it started after adding 2 more sticks of memory :scratch:

I can't open your attachment for some reason to look at the error message. Perhaps you could just type it in?

Cheers

Crypto
  • edited December 2005
    http://photobucket.com/albums/c335/reg0ner/BSOD/

pw: jessica

no, that is not me, lol. just click on BSOD

some random pics i took last night using what ive got. camera phone. ive been getting a bunch of different errors. im really considering just reformatting and re-installing everything at this point. ive got this nasty virus i can't get rid of which im trying to get help from as well.

maybe even just dump this pc altogether.
    edited December 2005
    Crypto wrote:
    If you're booting and getting in to safe mode OK, the fault seems to lead to a driver problem rather than hardware...
    I believe you've nailed it, Crypto. :)

One of the screenshots of the BSOD says the problem lies with the file ati2dvag.dll, part of the ATi video driver set.

JCavero, see if this fix is helpful. If you still have problems I'd recommend you get the latest driver for your video card. If you are already using the latest driver, try rolling it back to an earlier one.

There is another screen which indicates a problem with shlddrv,sys, a component of the Sygate Firewall. See if temporarily disabling it makes a difference.
  • edited December 2005
    lol. since that post, i tried uninstalling some drivers and i guess i messed up somewhere... so i was getting BSOD before the windows boot screen. i ended up reformatting. gonna try installing them now.

actually. i think it might be the mobo. in one of the screens with the slots, the 2 empty ones always give me problems. i can't put anything in them without putting in the first two. nor can i add 2 in the front and 1 in the last green slot alone. the orange 3rd one also gives me problems on every ram chip i have. might just be the slots on the mobo?
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited December 2005
    Some motherboards are picky about the order in which you populate the memory slots. Do you have a manual? It should tell in which order to fill the RAM slots.

Cheers

Crypto :D