URGENT HELP PLEASE, Can't boot computer

edited December 2005 in Hardware
Hi, I'm not sure if i got a virus or anything, but ever since i shut down my computer and try to boot it up again, it give me options, either boot in last working configuration, boot in safe mode, or boot in safe mode with cd rom support, and no matter what options i choose, the computer just reboot again, I can't even get into windows. Is it possibly a virus???

Please help, how can i back up the data i have in the drive???

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    Boot to a Command Prompt Only, then type in chkdsk /f and hit {Enter}

If something is out of whack on your hard drive that may fix it for you.

Good Luck. :)
  • edited December 2005
    it don't work, it just freezes or reboot again. I even try putting it as a secondary drive and see if i can go into windows and access the files, I can't even go into windows with another drive that is perfectly working. I try my friends drive which work on his computer and put it in my computer with it being the only drive, and the computer still give the same message, the computer got the same message again.

please, someone help.
    edited December 2005
    Run the diagnostic test from the hard drive manufacturer. If you need help finding it, tell me the name of the company and I'll see if I can help.
  • edited December 2005
    it's a maxtor drive, ide version 160 gig. Thanks
    edited December 2005
    Get the PowerMax program (near the bottom of the list) and run both a quick and a full test. There is a version for a bootable floppy and another for a bootable CD.

If the drive is bad it should give you an error code. Write it down - you'll need it for the RMA. If the drive is good we'll move on to other ideas. :)