For motherboard Asus A7N8X-LA

edited December 2005 in Hardware
Can someone help me? I need a new heatsink and fan and am not sure what to get. I am running AMD Athlon XP 2800.

I am getting desparate, pc reboots it's self many many times a day.

Comments

• MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited December 2005
    What heatsink is currently installed? Have you tried removing it and cleaning both it and the cpu and then reapplying with Artic Silver?
  • edited December 2005
    Yes I took it out and cleaned it. I could not find the name on the heatsink. The fan does not screw on, it has pegs that snap in. I couldn't get the fan off the heat sink and didn't want to force it since I didn't have a replacement if it broke. So they brand name might be under the fan. The brand on the fan is Cool Master. I might only need the fan but since I can't get it off the heatsink I am looking to buy the whole unit. I searched online for a replacement but there are so many I am not sure which would be right. They are all measured in mm and based on the size of my heatsink which is 6cm that converts to 60mm.
    The fan doesn't put out a lot of air and revs up (a burst of air is generated then) when I use certain programs that are memory hogs. I have left the case cover off to help with ventilation but the pc keeps rebooting if I use it too long or with numerous programs open.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • edited December 2005
    I take it this mobo is in a HP machine, right? If so, does the case have any ducts in the heatsink area that you have to contend with, fitting a new heatsink?

The A7X8X-LA mobo is an OEM derivative of the standard A7N8X motherboard I believe, and should accept any size heatsink that will fit a standard production A7N8X board. I used to have a standard A7X8X board and there was plenty of room around the socket to fit most heatsinks into it.

If the case does have any kind of ductwork around the heatsink area of the motherboard, please post a picture up so we can see what you have to work with. Once we see what you have to work with, it will make recommendations on what you need much easier. :)
  • edited December 2005
    Thanks for the reply, the heatsink sits on and is clamped to a board. It doesn't have to be put into something. Just have to make sure the clamps on the new one will fit into the tabs.

looks very much like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106041
  • edited December 2005
    I have the A7N8X-X series board and using the BIG Aerocool HT-101 WITH 2 fans instead of one. The board has ALOT of space liked said

It wasnt a hassel installing, I think I had to take out the PSU to do it because I have the Antec case which has the metal bar going across the case.