New M/B, CPU, boot problem

edited December 2005 in Hardware
Hello all!

I just bought a DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra D motherboard and an AMD 64 X2 3800 processor. Nice setup, but I can't even get past POST. The computer starts up, IMMEDIATELY shows the "lanparty" boot skin, and freezes. If I press the Tab key, it shows (what should be) the beginning of POST, and freezes indefinitely. I have tried moving the ram (OCZ PC 3500 Dual Channel, 2x512), and limiting hardware to just the essentials. Nothing gives. With the mobo, cpu, PCIe video, and 400w power supply, I dropped almost $1000.00 on hardware today. I sure would like it to work. Good grief. Note- I've done these installations several dozen times before. Any ideas?

Comments

• ishiiiishiii Cold lake, AB, CA
    edited December 2005
    I have no idea, but does the bios need an update for the x2 3800?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    ishiii wrote:
    I have no idea, but does the bios need an update for the x2 3800?
    Even the origianl bios from 2/05 will allow an X2 to post but it will just run on one core until the bios is updated.

When you say "limited hardware to just essentials". Does that mean just board, CPU/HS, memory and vid card? That is where I would try. Have you tried with just one stick of memory in different slots? Tried clearing the cmos yet? What make is your PSU? It seems to be on the low side for your new rig. For just one video card I recomend at least 26A on the 12V line.
  • edited December 2005
    Alright, I just realized that when I try to boot it up, it starts with the fans running super fast, and once the video card sends signal to the monitor, all the fans SLOW down significantly, and that seems to be where the problem starts. Sounds like a PSU to me, do you agree? I assumed 400w would be sufficient.
    edited December 2005
    What makeand model is the PSU? (this is very important)

Dou you have a molex connected to the board?

The fans are suppose to be full throttle on startup then slow as the CPU also gets a bit of extra voltage to start.

On the 4 LED's at the lower rear corner of the board. Does it go to just one lit or stick on 2 LED's?
  • edited December 2005
    The LEDs go to 1 lit. The one on the far left.
    Cooler Master makes the 400w psu. It may be the only near generic part on my pc. I've been told anything less than 450w can cause problems with this board/processor etc.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Have the memory in the orange slot and use a molex on the board just above the chipset. Is that powersupply a 24 pins or only 20 pins? Is the extra 12V connected?
    What videocard do you have?
    edited December 2005
    I strongly recomend getting a PSU from Antec, Enermax, OCZ or ask prior to purchasing. Make sure it is the 2.0 specification and has at least 26A on the 12V line. You WILL NOT get a quality PSU that will run that board stable for under $80.00.
  • edited December 2005
    24 pins. I have a ATI Radeon x800GTO, PCIe. I bought an Antec TP II 480, and the problem still exists. Hmmm. Any thoughts?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    As asked-- did you clear the CMOS???
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Do you use the orange memoryslots?
  • alexdcdalexdcd The United Kingdom
    edited December 2005
    hey,
    Try a progressive, but timewasting, test of all the hardware, if you think the video card is playing up, try a generic pci card or basic vga if you have one lying around. Another problem i have with motherboards i service is power loss and a screwed up bios. Remove cmos battery and or use the onboard jumper pins to reset it. I hope the problem isnt the last thing you check!