No_more_irp_stack_locations

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited July 2008 in Hardware
Last night my system stopped responding, and I was forsed to turn off the system without a proper shut-down. A blue screen apeared with this white text:
A Problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.

NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS

If this is the first time you have seen this Stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow 
these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. 
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software maufacturer 
for any updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove ant newly installed hardware 
or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. 
If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart 
your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then 
select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000035 (ox81A742c0,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further
assistance.

I've seen this screen before in similar circumstances, and when I'd reboot, it would boot up just fine after that. This time, however, it shows this screen every time. If I choose to, It will allow me to boot into safe-mode.

I haven't installed anything new rescently, so I really can't follow the directions it gives for repairs.

I went into SAfe Mode and disabled some start-up level programs, and increased my Virtual Memory cache size, but niether of those helped.

Anybody dealt with this one before?

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    When you're in safe mode, see if you can reinstall your network card driver. If you're using the nVidia one on the mobo, dowload the latest nVidia driver for the nForce2 chipset to get it. If it's the other network jack, I forget whose hardware that is, I'd disable it in BIOS and switch to the nVidia one.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    I don't think it's a networking problem because it lets me boot up into 'Safe Mode with Networking', but I'll try updating the network driver anyway. Couldn't hurt.

I have a feeling that it's a Virtual Memory issue, but that's only a hunch.

Anyone else have any experience with this error message?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    Everything I've found indicates a driver problem. In Safe Mode it may be using a generic Network driver. Like GHoosdum said, try uninstalling your NIC in Safe Mode and let Windows give it another try. :)
    edited December 2005
    Try to find it in the registry. Search for IRPstacksize in regedit. You can either make the number bigger, or delete it and Windows will reset it automatically.
    edited December 2005
    Updating the driver didn't help, so I tried just diabling the Network driver, and that didn't help either...

I'll try changing the stack size, but I still don't understand how something like that goes wrong... Did smething change my stack size, or did something start requiring a larger stack size suddenly?
    edited December 2005
    Hmm.. I can't find the entry in the registry..
    edited December 2005
    The thing is:

I haven't installed or changed anything since the last reformat.

I haven't seen this error since before that time, and in those cases it would only do it once, then I could boot normaly.

As far as a pattern: that's what gave me the hunch about Virtual Memory. In the past I would get this error only in this sequence:

-Playing full screen, high load game.
    -Game hits a wall and sits, HD spinning for several seconds.
    -Game crashes to desktop.
    -Message bubble: Virtual memory too low, Windows is increasing your virtual memory capacity.
    -System crashes to blue screen displaying above message.
    -System resets normaly.

The only thing that was different this time is that the system didn't reset normaly, and now I get the error everytime I try to boot at all.

My first thougt that was the crash corrupted my pagefile, but cleaning out the Virtual Memory cache didn't fix the issue, niether did increasing the Pagefile limit.

I'll play with it more tomorrow. For now, I'm going to bed...
    edited December 2005
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Try here:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters

On searching the web, that's where it is located in NT (if it is set)...
    That's where it is in my XPpro as well.

Good luck, CB. :)
    edited December 2005
    Good old Memtest86 may not be a bad idea.
    edited December 2005
    Try here:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters

On searching the web, that's where it is located in NT (if it is set). I don't know if it would be the same in XP, but that registry location exists on my PC at least, only without the IRPstackSize DWORD value in it.

If you installed a program, or especially a device driver, that uses it, it may have been set during the install. The program/driver may have set it too low for your needs, hence the error.

Here is the MSDN entry on IRP Stack. I am supposing that a poorly written device driver is causing the problem, or a glitch in the current state of a well-written one. Do you remember when the problems started, so that you might be able to start to track down what may be doing the damage?

//edit: It may be that the driver that's causing the issue is overflowing the capabilities of the IRP stack in general, perhaps making I/O calls through it in an infinite loop or infinitely recursive procedure. Are all of your device drivers signed? If not, I'd first check the ones that aren't signed. Does your usage or the PC's behavior have a pattern to it before the error occurs? I'm just throwing out ideas here, I'm sure you've already thought of a lot of this...
    edited December 2005
    The posts in this thread are out of order somehow! :bawling:

I still don't see that reg entry, even at the address you specified.

The string 'IRP' doesn't occur anywhere in my registry, nor does 'stacksize'.
    edited December 2005
    I'd run Memtest (if you haven't already done so), and post a HijackThis log.

Yep, that's what I'd do. :mullet:
    edited December 2005
    I ran hijackthis from safemode. There does not seem to be anything fishy:
    Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 7:49:14 AM, on 12/14/2005
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\DOCUME~1\CB\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis setup.zip\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PivotSoftware] "C:\Program Files\WinPortrait\wpctrl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\Avast\ashDisp.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [{0228e555-4f9c-4e35-a3ec-b109a192b4c2}] C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\gnotify.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NVMixerTray] "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NvMixer\NVMixerTray.exe"
    O4 - Startup: Konfabulator.lnk = C:\Program Files\Pixoria\Konfabulator\Konfabulator.exe
    O4 - Startup: Trillian.lnk = C:\Program Files\Trillian\trillian.exe
    O4 - Startup: Xfire.lnk = C:\Program Files\Xfire\Xfire.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: hp psc 2000 Series.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpobnz08.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: hpoddt01.exe.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1131399484889
    O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Avast\aswUpdSv.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Avast\ashServ.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Avast\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
    O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Avast\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
    O23 - Service: FAH@C:+!details+My Apps+Setup Files+FAH Setup.exe - Stanford University - C:\!details\My Apps\Setup Files\FAH Setup.exe
    O23 - Service: FAH@C:+FAH+FAH Setup.exe - Stanford University - C:\FAH\FAH Setup.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe

I'll run memtest as soon as I can burn a boot CD.

That's how that one works, right? I've never actually used memtest before.:cool: (Don't tell Prime.)
    edited December 2005
    CBDroege wrote:
    I ran hijackthis from safemode. There does not seem to be anything fishy...
    I didn't spot anything either. There are normally many more items in a typical log, though. Did you include everything?

For future reference, you ought to make a new folder somewhere (I made mine in the Program Files folder) and run HJT from there. You've got it in a temp folder right now, meaning that any backups it makes are likely to get deleted.
    I'll run memtest as soon as I can burn a boot CD.

That's how that one works, right? I've never actually used memtest before.:cool: (Don't tell Prime.)
    CD or Floppy, all you do is boot from the disc(k), then sit back and watch the fun. There are things you can configure in the program but 99.99% of us don't ever need to change a thing.

As for Primesie, this can be our little secret. :cool:
    edited December 2005
    Okay.

Memtest has been running for 16 hrs and has found no errors.

Am I supposed to stop this program, or will it eventually give me a 'finished' message?
    edited December 2005
    It'll go on forever, assuming you keep paying your electric bill. :vimp:

Look on the middle-right part of the screen for a column called "Pass"; that will tell you how many it has completed. I usually go though two full passes. At this point you've probably done a dozen or more, depending on how much RAM you have.

It's safe to say that your memory is just fine. I'll keep looking for solutions. :)
    edited December 2005
    49 passes. Yea, I think it's fine... :rolleyes:

It seems like whenever I have a system problem, it turns into an irresolvable fiasco...

Any client's issues, I just get with a few button pushes, and send them on their way, no complaints... Something happens to my computer, however, and there is no solution but to replace or reformat something... :( :bawling:
  • edited December 2005
    Just a wild shot in the dark here, but have you run your hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic program to check drive fitness. Maybe your hard drive is getting weak and forked something up in registry. :scratch:

Like I said, a shot in the dark. ;)
    edited December 2005
    Mudd's idea is the logical next step. :)

Did you check into this:
    There are normally many more items in a typical (HijackThis) log, though. Did you include everything?
    You log doesn't contain all the sections a normal one would. Either those parts didn't get included or that is another symptom of your current troubles.

Try running System File Checker. Click Start>>>Run, type in sfc /scannow and hit OK. Note the space before the "/" and have your XP disc in the cdrom drive when you start it.

If none of that (including the HD test) gets you anywhere and you're running WinXP, a Repair Install might be easiest in the long run. At least you can view it as having a high probability of getting you back in business in an hour or two.
    edited December 2005
    I can't do a repair install, cause I've got SP2 already installed. I guess I could uninstall it...

I'll try a scandisc first, though. I don't think that the drive has corrupted anything in the bootsector or FAT because it runs fine in Safe Mode...
    edited December 2005
    Okay.

This is interesting. I removed SP2, and a few other updates, in preperation for a repair install. It asked me to restart, so I said okay.

It rebooted normally...

:scratch:

Let's see what happens when I reinstall SP2...
    edited December 2005
    Should the problem return, you may want to see if LSP-Fix makes a difference.
    edited December 2005
    Well, it seems to be stable now. I need more RAM soon, but otherwise I'm doin' okay.

I had a couple more issues with spyware and stuff after deinstalling/reinstalling SP2, but that was to be expected and was simple enough to remedy.

What ever happened, I think that the deinstallation (and thus te reversion to an earlier setup of Windows) overwrote whatever key was causing the issue. If it returns, I know what to try first...

Thanks for your help guys.
    edited December 2005
    When you decide to upgrade your RAM, I'd recommend going with PC3200 even though your CPU is only a 266MHz FSB item - you may decide to upgrade your CPU in the future, and the price for the PC3200 should be just about the same as PC2100 would cost, if not less now due to higher production.
    edited December 2005
    Glad to hear it's settled down for you. :)
  • edited March 2006
    Hi, I had similar problem but i have not uninstalled SP2 i've just reinstalled it and it's worked!!

P.S. Sorry for my English.
    edited March 2006
    Good! That could save a step if someone runs into this issue again in the future..
  • edited April 2006
    levi wrote:
    Hi, I had similar problem but i have not uninstalled SP2 i've just reinstalled it and it's worked!!

P.S. Sorry for my English.
    Just wanted to confirm that this worked for me. Installed SP2 over the top straight from the upgrade CD. Thanks levi!!

The Microsoft hotfix did not work: the symptoms that I saw were that the problem occured in the startup phase, not after the login screen (which is what the Microsoft article refers to).
  • ferrotypeferrotype Portland, Maine
    edited July 2008
    CB wrote:
    Last night my system stopped responding, and I was forsed to turn off the system without a proper shut-down. A blue screen apeared with this white text:
    A Problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
    to your computer.

NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS

If this is the first time you have seen this Stop error screen,
    restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow 
    these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. 
    If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software maufacturer 
    for any updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove ant newly installed hardware 
    or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. 
    If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart 
    your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then 
    select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000035 (ox81A742c0,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further
    assistance.

I've seen this screen before in similar circumstances, and when I'd reboot, it would boot up just fine after that. This time, however, it shows this screen every time. If I choose to, It will allow me to boot into safe-mode.

I haven't installed anything new rescently, so I really can't follow the directions it gives for repairs.

I went into SAfe Mode and disabled some start-up level programs, and increased my Virtual Memory cache size, but niether of those helped.

Anybody dealt with this one before?

I've been dealing with this all damn day...
    After extenship chatting on the Microsoft Developers Forum, I have to do a Clean Install of my XP....

I seem to have a corrupted version, as I have to do this once a year on both of my Dell 8300's.

Is it Dell, or Bill Gates, I'll never know.