3-monitor rig?

SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
edited December 2005 in Hardware
Hey guys -

Figured I'd check here... everything on the net is confusing at 3 am. I currently have a dual-monitor setup with two Samsungs, which is nice. I'm toying with the idea of grabbing a third monitor, a big ol' widescreen LCD TV for a middle monitor/TV. It would be sweet. However, I've got less than adequate technical expertise for attaching three monitors to my computer. Any ideas what I'd need or advice on LCD models?

Current rig:

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe with an AMD X2 4800+
2 gb Crucial memory
ATI Radeon X800XL
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
Spunkload of storage space, etc

Thanks for your help, everybody.

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    I've never done it, but I believe you need a PCI video card that has tv out. Not sure if you'd need any extra programs.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Your radeon may already have s-video/HDTV out. If so, and you want your third monitor to be a TV, you can just use that. I'm pretty sure you can use the TV-out while you're using the two monitors, but perhaps not.

If you want your third screen to be a normal comptuer monitor, then you'll need an additional PCI card. The Appian Geronimo II and similar cards are usually on eBay, and they add additional monitor hookups. But, their 3d capability is similar to the old 3dfx Voodoo II, so don't try running any games on the monitor that's hooked up to the Appian.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Thanks for the replies.

The X800XL does have an S-video out as well as d-sub and DVI outputs, but I always figured the quality would be lower using just an s-video. What I really want is for the new one to run off of a DVI output and have a coax going into it as well and just be able to switch back and forth between computer output and TV output. I think I'll start checking around for PCI graphics cards. That should allow me to see three monitors in graphics properties and stuff, or do I have to change the rest of my setup as well?

Thanks guys.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Maybe matrox parhelia will have what you're looking for. I think they have 3 outputs. 3dlabs wildcats have an add in card I think you can go to 4 ouputs on those not sure.

I'm not saying it can't be done with you're present card. I'm just saying I have a general idea of the various outputs.
    edited December 2005
    A Parhelia will give you three outputs, and then you just need to find a monitor that supports the resolution you want for the computer and still has a TV tuner.

But, Parhelias can't game very well. I think an add-in card that gives you one monitor you can't game on versus a main card that gives you three you can't game on is a good idea. I'm assuming you're a gamer because of your current vid card.

This isn't the exact same card that I once used, but it's the same idea. Most of the listings are in the UK right now. eBay Example

I used mine with Windows 2000, so the chances of being able to use any of the Appian cards with Windows XP are pretty good. They're so cheap, you're taking a minimal risk.
    edited December 2005
    Update:

Currently looking at something like this for an add-in -

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1081946&CatId=0

I currently have a DVI 710t and analog 710n, and with the purchase of an analog-to-DVI adapter, I'm thinking I'd plug both DVI's in on the X800XL and plug the analog into the new card above. (And yes, I'm a rather avid gamer. Stuck on NFS:Most Wanted right now. Great game.) Think that'll cover it?

Thanks for everybody's help.

-MJ
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited December 2005
    Newegg has some basic PCI cards for much cheaper than that one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102447

That one has both DVI and Analog and its only $35.
    edited December 2005
    Much better, Madball.

Thanks a bunch.
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited December 2005
    No problem. And you're right NFS:MW does kick a$$. I'm throughly addicted!
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited December 2005
    I want that game :p
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Hi MJ

I used to have a 9800Pro AIW That I wanted to run dual monitors on and tried several different PCI cards and could not get it to work. I finally called ATI and they told me " It will not work with that card" They were very helpful and got me sorted out.

Befor you buy anything I would call them (ATI 877-284-1566 ) and tell them what you have and what you intend to do. See if they know of any issues you should be aware of, or "blacklisted" hardware.

Just my thoughts

Good luck !! :thumbsup:

Scott
    edited December 2005
    scott wrote:
    Before you buy anything I would call them (ATI 877-284-1566 ) and tell them what you have and what you intend to do. See if they know of any issues you should be aware of, or "blacklisted" hardware.

That's a very good idea. I forgot to mention that some add-in cards aren't compatible with certain main cards.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    MJancaitis wrote:
    Much better, Madball.

Thanks a bunch.

The key is to use your 2 outputs, I think one is Analog and the other being DVI just get a nice Analog dongel that will split 1 connection into 2 as the new ATI driver will recognize up to 4 Screens per card now "i think" and than use your DVI for your TV! I have used a double dongel on a 7800GTX and powered 4 19" LCD's I don't know why your card couldn't power 3 :)

Note:

Nvidia says SLI now does not have the capability to support Dual LCD's or monitors a that! well my SLI does just that :) with those beautiful dongles :)
    edited December 2005
    Just one thing iffy with that, Sledge -

I've currently got one analog, one DVI monitor. The card has one analog, one DVI output, so it's worked fantastically. I don't want to settle for picture or signal quality on the DVI monitors (otherwise what in the world did I bother getting DVI models for?), so is there A) a dongle that will split an analog into a DVI and analog outs or B) a dongle that will split one DVI to two DVI, and furthermore, will that all sacrifice screen response time, slow down my graphics card, or anything like that? And I can still have essentially a three-screen setup, none of them mirroring another or anything?

If there are such dongles and no such performance limitations, that sounds pretty damn ideal to me. Thanks for the input and any responses.
  • edited December 2005
    If you want to use all 3 monitors for "Surround gaming", you won't get away with a low-end PCI card.
    edited December 2005
    I hadn't planned on surround gaming (though damn, if I could set it up, I sure would), which is why I wasn't too worried about just getting a PCI one. Anybody have any experience with multi-screen gaming, though? /newtopic
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited December 2005
    I just ordered three of those Radeon 7000 cards for a 5 monitor setup I have, I can't wait to see if it works.

As for the gaming, last time I tried it the screens blacked out except for the main display. I don't game any more but last time I did it that's how it handled it.
    edited December 2005
    All right, fellas, let's try and get this restarted:

I found my TV! Going with the Samsung R329D (simply gorgeous).
    http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/LCDTV/LNR329DXXAA.asp

Only questions are, for people with experience in them:

Is there a significant quality difference between using the VGA vs a DVI-to-HDMI cable?
    I want to use the DVI out on my graphics card, but I only have one, and already have a DVI monitor on it. Thus:
    Are there any DVI splitters like all the VGA splitters I've found? I swear to God, I can only find the $200+ industrial-type splitters. Anybody have any help for me?

If the VGA's just as good as the DVI, I'll just stick with a VGA splitter, but I have the haunting feeling that the all-digital HD connection just has to be better.

Thanks for any help and a very Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to everybody!