Packard Bell....help please!!!!

edited December 2005 in Hardware
Hi all, I'm new here so please be gentle.
Recently my brother in law formatted his hard drive and then handed me the computer to reload windows xp onto. (dont ask me why because i dont know)

It is a Packard Bell iMedia P806 (yes i should have known better!!)
Pentium 4
80gb barracuda
512mb ram
Motherboard is MS-6763 (which doesnt even seem to exist)

I try and load windows and it hangs during setup, where it restarts and loads windows.
Have tried the microsoft site (unhelpful as usual) they suggested upgrading the bios, which i did. Same problem.
Tried Packard Bell site (even worse) no help there! they suggested loading chipset drivers with windows (took me a day to figure it out and do it, and it didnt work)
If i put hard drive in my computer and load windows then put hd into Packard Bell it freezes at screen asking to load windows normally, safe mode etc. Doesnt matter which option i choose.
Have tried Xp home / Xp prof even win 95. same result.

Help me please before i destroy a perfectly good window throwing this computer through it.
thanks in advance!

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    Go into your BIOS and look for any performance-related settings and crank everything down to dog-slow levels. Then give it another shot.

Do you have any suspicions at all about any of the hardware (other than the fact that it's a P-B...)? For instance, if you're hearing any unusual noises from the HD you might want to check that out. A couple passes of Memtest-86 wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

This appears to be an mATX system. Is that correct?
  • edited December 2005
    excuse my ignorance but what is a mATX system?
    The thing is about 2 years old. runs at 2.8 ghz.
    No strange noises etc. It was working fine until my brother in law formatted it.
    Will swap the memory with my computer and see what happens.
    edited December 2005
    mATX = Micro ATX (ATX is the standard form factor in computers these days.)

It's a little fella, right? :p
  • edited December 2005
    yep, i think so.
    In my day it was called a mini tower..lol
  • edited December 2005
    thanks for your help.... it was the memory.
    It had 2 x 256mb chips. Took the first one out, rebooted, and it completed its windows install and is now running.
    Thanks.

now im off to the shed to get a hammer. Ill teach this this chip to waste days of my time !!!

thanks again...great site and great advice.
    edited December 2005
    See the link in my first post in this thread and check out Memtest-86. It wouldn't hurt to be sure that the remaining chip is good.

For that matter, before you get the hammer out you might want to test the other stick as well. See if it will work solo, or maybe in another computer. It may not actually be bad - just incompatible.

Glad you're back in business. :thumbsup: