SATA work with another IDE drive

edited December 2005 in Hardware
Hi, I'm planning to get a 250 gig seagate drive for backup, and I was wondering if I can use my current ide as primary and hook up the new sata drive as secondary with no os just for primary storgage. Is it possible to have sata and ide drive together? Will it even work. Suggestions

Current setup:
Asus motherboard P4P800SE with one ide drive as primary
two optical drive, dvd writer as primary and dvd rom as secondary.

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited December 2005
    You can certainly install the SATA drive as a data drive (I think that's what you meant). I've had IDE/SATA combinations where either could boot. It can be a little tricky setting it up- depending on your mobo. Sometimes they will require that you install the SATA/RAID drivers just before you install Windows XP (do you use XP Pro?) by pressing F6 when the install CD boots just after POST- otherwise your system might not see the SATA drive.

But that does make me curious, what are you using for an IDE drive now? Is there a reason besides convenience you wouldn't want to consider using the SATA drive as your boot?
  • edited December 2005
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it will work OK. I think it depends how you have the sata set up in bios, but I believe I remember that you can configure it so you have all 4 IDE connections plus the sata connections available for use at the same time. At least on both my IC7-G and P4C800E, which are both i875 boards.