Fatal exception

athalonheadathalonhead Member
edited December 2005 in Science & Tech
When I shut off the internet connection sometimes I get this fatal exception error. It semes to happen more frequently when I turn off firefox at the same time.
It is --fatal exception oe has occoured at 0028:do5e2369 in vxd mtlmdm(03)+00000011 the currrent application will be terminated

When it happens some parts are different but some are the same such as
0028:do33c79a or 0028:dob9aa21 or 0028:do9f24a7 or 0028:dobbe581

The next part is always the same -- in vxd mtldm(03)

The last part is different---00000011----00000047--00000051

I have done some searches and some were saying it could be a memory or regristry problem. I have rum memtest86 multiple times with no errors.Help please.

The computer is a compaq persario 5070
athlon k6 350mhz
seagate HD
windows 98 all updates and service packs done
internet prov people pc
browser firefox

:scratch:

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    The vxd mtlmdm part refers to a problem with a virtual modem driver. See if you can find an updated driver for your modem. :)
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited December 2005
    profdlp Ok that does add up as I have installed a new v92/44 modem on this computer.Maybe it is incompatible with this computer.

I will do the search for updated modem drivers. If there are none I will put in another modem and recheck. I will post the results.. Thanks
    edited December 2005
    Make sure the drivers for the old modem are cleaned out, too. :)
    edited December 2005
    I checked for other drivers and there were none. There was not an updated driver either.

I uninstalled and removed the modem and put the original one back in.I am testing from this computer now.

I will have to go on and off line a bunch of times to see if it is fixed. I will post results either way fixed or not.
    :thumbsup:
    edited December 2005
    If it's not too late, you might check and see if the IRQ used by the modem is shared with any other device(s). Under WinXP and Win2K many devices can share a single IRQ just fine, but there are exceptions to this.

Also, in Device Manager click "View" and check "Show Hidden Devices", then see if the old modem appears there. If it does (and you still want to try and get the new modem working), uninstall it.
    edited December 2005
    I Went on and off line probally 10 times yesterday and the computer worked prerfectly. No errors or anything.

The computer was also having the fault this progam has performed an Illegal operation and will be shut down and was having some other glitches that I blamed on the old windows 98 OS. All of that was caused by the v92 modem.

The original modem seems to be as fast as the new one so I am not going to change anything.I have read that the high speed v92 modems use more resources than v90s.

All I can say is you guys are good the best, better than the rest. I cant really put it in words. This is the best forum I have found on the internet. You guys have helped me solve a few other problems and never been stumped.
    I want to build a computer farm eventually and this is the place I will crunch numbers for.

Thanks profdlp and short media
    edited December 2005
    Glad you got it, man. :thumbsup:

Just remember: Team 93 :D