Memory Errors?

QCHQCH Ancient GuruChicago Area - USA Icrontian
edited December 2005 in Hardware
Hey everyone...

MSI-6378 v3 with most current BIOS
AMD Athlon 1400
(2) 128 MB of RAM

I've been my head trying to solve this problem. WinXP system having stability issues after recent rebuild. Seems to be a memory problem. Run Memtest and tons of errors.

Removed one stick of memory... run memtest... no errors.
Switch slots... repeat.
Swap memory... run memtest... no errors.
Switch slots... repeat.

No errors??? Put both sticks back in and re-run memtest... ERRORS. Seems to get through several tests without problems, then a few errors, then no errors... all at different areas... :scratch: See below.

So... PSU??? Motherboard??? Any ideas???

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Might be the motherboard or PSU having trouble powering more than a single module at a time...

Are they identical sticks?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Memory sticks are NOT identical... One is generic and the other is Micron. I am changing brands right now... The PSU is a no name generic. Not even sure the power rating but I think its 235w.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    They may be incompatible with each other - the two sticks, i mean.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    that can't be good :( agree with Prime... most likely not compatable! does the ram seem to be running hot?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Memory seems to be running fairly cool.... Testing another stick (Viking) right now... then I'll test the Mocron and the Viking stick. :thumbsup:
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited December 2005
    Agree with PS and Sledge- wonder if they might not be the same rating- tried winding down the bus speed?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    Qeldroma made a good suggestion. I'd try that. :)

What troubles me is that with 256MB of RAM total, your errors appear to be spread out over both of the 128MB sticks you have in there. It could be that the memory controller on the MB is trying to do something it can't do with those particular sticks. Besides ratcheting down the bus speed, you may want to mess around with the latency settings as well.

Good luck, you ol' Qonstipator. :p
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited December 2005
    If possible you could also try to bump the voltage to your ram a little. (maybe)
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Erorrs in test 7 generally means Cas error. If you have the ram at auto, go into windows and load cpu-z. Check the memory tab and post a screenie. Also take a screenie of the SPD tab and make sure the information from both sticks are in there :)