ASUS that is just not right! Quad GPU's ????

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited December 2005 in Hardware
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/14/sneak_preview_of_the_nvidia_quad_gpu_setup/

ASUS has done it again, with allot of hitches they have create a Dual GPU 7800GT that is able to run in SLI creating 4 GPU's :) now throw 4 of these in Gigabytes new 4 cx 16 SLI mobo and get 8 GPU's running!

front-and-back-asus-cards.jpg

Comments

• sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited December 2005
    ahha sweetness! you need AC adapters ;D

Grafikkarte :p Prozessoren :p
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    ...you need AC adapters ;D ...
    I thought you were just kidding about the fact that they would be power-hungry. Then I read the article. :eek2:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    wow..thats when you need that 1kw power supply, and more. ;D

you wouldnt want your cat tripping over those wires and ripping them out while you were gaming. that could be bad.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    wow..thats when you need that 1kw power supply, and more. ;D

you wouldnt want your cat tripping over those wires and ripping them out while you were gaming. that could be bad.

I would just hope the cat would go with the PC becuase of what I would do to that cat if it lived :eek:
  • edited December 2005
    You better have a separate 20 amp power circuit just to run the computer, kind of like for a microwave oven. :eek:

But I'll tell you what, once Stanford has the gpu folding client running and released, that machine would be a folding monster. Just think, put a dual core cpu in it along with 8 gpu's folding. :respect:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    ...But I'll tell you what, once Stanford has the gpu folding client running and released, that machine would be a folding monster. Just think, put a dual core cpu in it along with 8 gpu's folding. :respect:
    Talk about a Folding Farm in one box! :wow2:
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited December 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    You better have a separate 20 amp power circuit just to run the computer, kind of like for a microwave oven. :eek:

Can't wait to return to the 3-phase 208VAC 30A receps. Haven't used one on a computer since the mini-mainframes ;D
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    muddocktor wrote:

But I'll tell you what, once Stanford has the gpu folding client running and released, that machine would be a folding monster. Just think, put a dual core cpu in it along with 8 gpu's folding. :respect:

If they do a GPU folding Client will you be abl,e to run GPU and CPU folding at the same time ? as I have my 4800+ X2 with 2 7800GTX Graphic cards! in one rig! now that would fold like crazy!

I also found a Media company who has 2 of these Dual 7800GT's I am trying to bargain with him on buying one from him! :)
  • edited December 2005
    If they do a GPU folding Client will you be abl,e to run GPU and CPU folding at the same time ? as I have my 4800+ X2 with 2 7800GTX Graphic cards! in one rig! now that would fold like crazy!

I also found a Media company who has 2 of these Dual 7800GT's I am trying to bargain with him on buying one from him! :)

That is my understanding of the gpu folding project at least. You will be able to fold with both the cpu and the gpu(s) once the gpu project is complete. From my understanding, only newer dx9 capable vid cards like a 9700 pro on up will be able to fold with a gpu client.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    its a good thing I run 6800's and 7800's :) in all my towers....
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited December 2005
    Wow.. just silly.. when you need a laptop power supply just for your video card.. :D
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    so are they gonna actually gonna throw these into production? or was this a mere concept? I saw that it said special editino x out of 2000. or are they still refining it?
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    muddocktor wrote:

Are they releasing one? What's the eta?
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    That's just crazy ... :rolleyes:

Yeah.. I want 'em ;D:D