Building a Laptop

BIGGIBIGGI Fort Meade, MD
edited December 2005 in Hardware
So, this will be my first laptop build.

I'm currently in school (night school >< ) for MCSE and all the certs that come along with it. What I need is a laptop for class work and research. System doesn't need to be a beast but needs to be able to support XP Pro, MS Office and any other software I might acquire while at school. Will also use for playing music during my study sessions.

I've been looking all morning for a Laptop case to start out with. But I'm just not having any luck. I'm not sure what kind of motherboard I need, processor etc. :scratch:

Here is a list off the top of my head that I would like to have:

40+gb HD SATA?
USB 2.0 ports 2-4
Ethernet 10/100 - 10/1000 ( will purchase a USB WiFi later)
CD-R/RW Burner
Video - No idea...ATI Mobile?
Sound Card - Creative?

Maybe you can send me in the right direction? Heheh, I've built normal PCs/Workstations before.

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    You can't just build a laptop unfortunatly. You can buy a barebones laptop, which you'd need to buy your own processor, HDD, etc... but it'll contain the laptop case and MB already similar to a barebones desktop computer.

Unless you wanna build a ghetto portable PC, you can't just build a laptop from scratch :shakehead That is one of my dreams though too :thumbsup:
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited December 2005
    Read rwb's post anyways it works out cheeper to just buy a notebook.
  • BIGGIBIGGI Fort Meade, MD
    edited December 2005
    Doh!

Oh well :)

Where can I find some barbone systems? Didn't have any luck on Newegg or Zipzoomfly. When I use google for barbone systems they are already decked out and are way to much money, heh.

Any suggestions?

Gray and RWB thanks for the info :mullet: