Darwinia!

edited December 2005 in Gaming
Darwinia was released over Steam Wednesday. Has anyone here tried it?

I played the demo and promptly bought the game ($20). Some of the most fun I've had with a RTS since Starcraft. The way it plays is different than all the other RTS games I've seen prior. It's very refreshing to see something so different in the genere.

Check it out! Here's the gameplay video.

Install Steam if you haven't already and give the demo a go!

Comments

• NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited December 2005
    I played the demo, but haven't bought the game. It was kind of fun, but I think too slow for me. I've always been an FPS and adventure game fan. Still though, it's great to see a unique game. I think steam allows developers the flexibility to create new and unique games because they can skip the publisher completely.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited December 2005
    This game is quite unique and cool.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited December 2005
    Almost got this when I was sick and starting to recover, but got caught up in Rome:Total War instead (which I thought was OK BTW). I've read some good things about it. Is it anything like Civilization or Rise of Nations/Empires or is it really unique from that genre?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited December 2005
    I just played through the demo. A little slow, but a lot of fun. Very unique, especially the story line. It's worth trying the demo to say the least.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited December 2005
    Just played the demo. Very cool concept, but yeah, a little boring. I wish you could control the Darwinians just a tad more, and/or have them not be such pussies. Soon as a Red fired a single shot they screamed and scattered out. RUN AWAY, RUN AWAYYY!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    Can you play the demo even if you don't have a Steam account?
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited December 2005
    What do you do in the game? I watched the video and its just a bunch of stick figures running around
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    It's a RTS... pretty fun guys. Looks like one I'll be buying in the next couple days.

You have Darwinians, which are like your civilians they run various things with officers to control them, and you have your squads for fighting, and engineers for fixing things and gathering "souls" to create new darwinians from the dead darwinians.... etc.

The tutorial was fun as hell!
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited December 2005
    I'll give it a try. thanks for the summary RWB
  • edited December 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Can you play the demo even if you don't have a Steam account?

YOu need a Steam account, but they're free and they (Valve) don't spam you at all
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    I went ahead and got the game, got pissed when I needed to save 150 darwinians, but could only seem to rescue 117. By that time I killed all the virii, so I had no way of creating more darwinians. I got no dialogue to help, or say that I lost that level. Kinda weird, but I suppose I should have read a help file or something?

Either way, it's alot of fun actually :thumbsup:
  • edited December 2005
    The guy tells you to save 150, and it tells you how many you needed to save (along with howmany you have saved) in the task manager. I suppose its easy to miss though
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited December 2005
    what are the system requirements for this game?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Not sure you could probably find out on the website or googling it. But to me the game moves SOOOO fluid and smoothly. I doubt it's much of a resource hog at all.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    This was a pretty cool demo.

Does the demo include all of the elements of the game, or is it more complex/challenging in later levels?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    It's OK. A little bit slow, though.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    CBDroege wrote:
    This was a pretty cool demo.

Does the demo include all of the elements of the game, or is it more complex/challenging in later levels?

Yeah it gets pretty tough when the spiders and egg throwing flowers come around. :wtf:
    edited December 2005
    but do you ever do more than just move from place to place, shooting red things with lasers and eating their souls?

Does the red menace ever behave in ways similar to the player?

I guess what I want to know is if this is really an RTS.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    yeah they replicate, and you gotta take objectives.

RIght now I am trying to build a new weapon, which I must goto power relays and clear out teh virus, bring an engineer to the relay to bring it to my side or whatever, then some things require you to bring in the darwinians to run the equipment. It's actually alot of stuff.

First I needed to get the power up for some mining stuff, then I needed to open some gates which teleport the mined stuff to another area which I must also power which refines the stuff. Another place has the weapons.

There is also some research, you set what you want researched and it'll start researching, to upgrade stuff.
    edited December 2005
    Hmm... That sounds kind-of cool... Maybe I'll get it after Christmas bills are payed...
    edited December 2005
    I like this game... but the ONLY thing I could think while playing it was, "HA! This is just a 3D Lemmings!" Unfortunately, there were was no option for a conveniently placed self-destructing one. That was my favorite part of Lemmings.

;D
    edited December 2005
    entropy wrote:
    I like this game... but the ONLY thing I could think while playing it was, "HA! This is just a 3D Lemmings!" Unfortunately, there were was no option for a conveniently placed self-destructing one. That was my favorite part of Lemmings.

;D

If it had that feature, I might buy it myself. My favorite was using the nuke option when you just couldn't win. I liked to stick all of my Lemmings into a single area, and then blow them all up, drilling a hole through the bottom of the level.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited December 2005
    I just played through the demo a second time, and I think I've just convinced myself to order it.. very fun game!
    edited December 2005
    GHoosdum wrote:
    If it had that feature, I might buy it myself. My favorite was using the nuke option when you just couldn't win. I liked to stick all of my Lemmings into a single area, and then blow them all up, drilling a hole through the bottom of the level.

:nods: (why don't we have a nods smilie?)

I think I might get this during break possibly - it'll give me something to do.
    edited December 2005
    I finished the demo last night. After a while, I got used to the interface (moving around by keyboard instead of clicking around as in most RTS) and I began to actually enjoy how long everything took. I started strategizing to build up an overwhelming force in order to remove every single red dot from the map, much as I try to do in standard RTS games. l33t wife tells me I'm neurotic about wiping out the enemy.
    The space ship takes off at the end
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    In the full version, some of these levels get CRAZY. Overwhelming odd's in terms of your force vs. the virus. But there are some fun weapons, I love my air strikes :D But there is so much freindly fire.

I've fought against ants, spiders, BIG spiders, worms of various sizes which are in the demo too. Some plants that throw eggs which PISS me off to no end becuase an area you cleared is now infected again! ARG SO MUCH FUN! ;D