New Nexus AXP 3200 stops getting to POST

edited December 2005 in Hardware
My desktop (well it is under the desk actually!) PC has an AMD Athlon XP 1600+ Socket A 266MHz FSB processor.
I wanted to replace the noisy Coolermaster DP5-6131C Socket A cooler and chose the quiet Nexus AXP 3200 cooler.
However when I now switch on my PC it does not complete POST and loops switching off and on.
I suspect that the rotation of the Nexus fan is not being detected because when I plug the old Coolermaster fan into a second fan connector the PC boots normally. (rotation of Coolermaster fan being detected).
I'm now back to running my PC with the noisy Coolermaster fan.
Please can you let me know:
1. Is the Nexus incompatible with my PC?
2. Is the Nexus wiring different to the Coolermaster?
3. The Coolermaster fan runs at 5400rpm so is the Nexus maximum fan speed of 2400rpm too slow for my PC?

Thanks in advance :):):)

Comments

• FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited December 2005
    Plug in the Coolermaster and go into the bios and disable the fan rotation detection switch. I would then lower the temperature warning threshold, but that's just me. I can't give you better instructions as I don't know which MB you've got. It appears that the MB sensors are not, as you said, detecting the new fan. Does it have an RPM sensor lead coming from it as the Coolermaster does? If not, it might just be as easy as getting a new, quieter fan with an RPM lead and replacing the Nexus fan but leaving the new cooler? Just a thought!

Flint
  • edited December 2005
    Many thanks for your prompt reply.

The BIOS current settings are:
    CPU Warning Temperature = 50 dec C / 1220 def F
    Shutdown Temperature = 60 / 140
    CPUFan Warning speed = Disabled
    Shutdown For CPUFan = Enabled
    So where I find the fan rotation detection switch please?
    I need to put my PC specs below my signature in my postings when I find out how.
    My desktop?: SiSoftware Sandra reports: (probably too much info?)
    System
    Manufacturer VIA Tecnologies, Inc.
    Model VT8366/A-8233
    Mainboard
    Manufacturer Soltek
    Model REV K4
    System BIOS 12/28/2001-VT8366/a-8233-6A6LVSN9C-00
    Chipset VIA KT266/A,KT333
    Temperature sensors (I have one sensor attached to the Graphics Chrpic
    Board Temperature 45C/113F (I need to open case up to chewck where the sensor is attached)
    CPU Temperature 51C/120F (How come no warning? I ask myself)
    Cooling Devices
    Auto Fan Speed Control No
    CPU Fan Speed 5625rpm

RPM sensor lead
    Both the Coolermaster and the new Nexus have central yellow leads for the 3 pin connector.
    Some stuff about the Nexus http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/print.php?cid=22&id=1159

Does this help please?
  • edited December 2005
    Disable "Shutdown for CPU Fan" and you're good to go.
    edited December 2005
    What he said!

Flint
  • edited December 2005
    OK madmat & flint. I will do.

Shutdown For CPUFan seemed to me to be rather cryptic in that I didn't find it at all self explanatory.
    Could it mean Shutdown if no fan rotation detected?
    The BIOS default is Disabled.
    Hopefully if I disable that setting, the Shutdown Temperature = 60 / 140 for the processor will protect it.
    edited December 2005
    That's the plan.