New parts :)

deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
edited December 2005 in Hardware
Righto, just found out I'm getting a small bonus at the end of december so I'm looking to upgrade my slightly long in the tooth PC.

I need to buy a new motherboard, processor and graphics card... could probably do with some more memory as well, but that can wait. my budget is around £700 (UK retailers only)

Processor: I'm pretty much set on the X2 4200+ since the opterons are almost impossible to get hold of in the UK, this runs at around £290.00 from Komplett.

Motherboard. I'm considering the DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-D for £113.00 from Komplett. any thoughts / comments?

Graphics card: I want at least a 7800GT to replace my current 6800GT which I'd happily stick with if it was a PCI-E one... anyway, the cheapest 7800GT from Komplett is the Gainward one for £250... anyone have experience with these?

I don't mind a bit of overclocking, so if anyone can comment on the overclocking potential of these components that would be cool :)

edit: I could also do with a new case actually, with the £50 or so I have left in my budget.

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited December 2005
    Well I got the Sparkle 7800GT from Micro Direct for £245, only £5 less I know ut it's a nice card.
    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/productlister.aspx?GroupID=331
  • SlydogSlydog Bristol UK Member
    edited December 2005
    are you gonna need a new power supply in that budget as well for that beast of a mobo?
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited December 2005
    on the video cards make sure you know the speeds of the RAM and the core. not all 7800gt's are the same speed, different manufactureres can make them faster/slower EVGA i belive makes some of the fastest rated cards. just be sure you look at that.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited December 2005
    Slydog wrote:
    are you gonna need a new power supply in that budget as well for that beast of a mobo?

Nah, I have an antec trupower on it's way to me so my power supply needs are sorted