Lock ups

edited January 2006 in Hardware
I have my computer on 24/7 bc it folds the whole time. but lately when i wake up in the worning and go to sign on my mouse a keyboard dont work. it doesnt happen during the day only at night. My proc. is a AMD 3200+. if you need any other specs just let me know. thanks in advance

bikerboy

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    Do you have Hibernation enabled? Some computers go to sleep just fine, they just don't always wake up.

Try this:

1) Disable Hibernation (if applicable)
    2) Set all power settings to "Always On"
    3) Set screensaver to "None"

Turn your monitor off when you hit the sack and see if the problem recurs. If it doesn't, one of the above is causing the problem. In that case, I'd leave Hibernation off and change the screen saver, plus re-enable the monitor shut-off power setting.
  • edited December 2005
    i already have everything to always on. dont have a screen saver and i shut my monitor off when i go to bed. only thing on is my tower. hibernation is off sim sure off that. any other suggestions

bikerboy
    edited December 2005
    What do your temperatures look like?
  • edited December 2005
    my temps are around 36 C they never get higher than 45 or my computer will shut down and i can hear it do that itll wake me up.

bikerboy
  • edited December 2005
    i left my computer on again tonite and it didnt lock up. the only thing that i did different is that i didnt lock it. i just left it at the desktop. could that be a problem, the locking it?

bikerboy
    edited December 2005
    That would seem likely. Instead of using Ctrl+Alt+Del and locking it that way, enable the "blank screen" screensaver and check the box "On resume, password protect". Then see if it craps out on you again tonight.
  • edited December 2005
    will do. since im at school itll have to wait. thanks for your help. Prof. :thumbsup:

bikerboy
  • edited December 2005
    hey Prof. I was wondering, if you try to enter the wrong password to many times doesit freeze the computer?

bikerboy
    edited December 2005
    If it's a User account it may, depending on the Account lockout threshold setting, but Ctrl+Alt+Del and Screensaver password attempts don't count. The Administrator account has no restrictions on failed attempts.

Do you suspect that someone may be trying to get into your computer? :cool:
  • edited December 2005
    yeah i think my dad is trying to see wat im doin on the internet and wat stuff i download. i dont have anything to hide since i found some of his uhh...material... so if he tries to ground me all i have to do is go into his folder and be like yeah what. but my door is always latched when i go to bed and its always open and my mouse is always in a different place today. i made a note of it before i went to bed. sorta pisses me off but oh well. and when it freezes up F@H stops which is the reason that i have it on at night. i geuss im gonna have to change it so i have a screen saver and password. thanks Prof.

bikerboy
    edited December 2005
    Buy a cheap $3 mouse and bargain-basement keyboard. When you go to bed move the real ones behind a bookcase or something and put the el-crappo ones on your desk with the cables (disconnected!) running towards the rear of the computer case. He can clickety-click all night long to no effect. :vimp:

Having said that, what would happen if you just sat down with your dad and told him all the same things you've mentioned in this thread? (You might leave out the fact that you have been snooping on him, though...) Don't do it in an angry or accusatory way, just politely ask if he's been trying to log on to your computer. Whether he says yes or no, you can then mention that you're trying to figure out why your computer is locking up every night and are only checking out possible causes. At that point, a frank discussion of trust between yourselves might go a long way toward clearing the air.

Obviously, I don't know your dad at all, but it may be that he feels that he needs to do this in order to protect you from the really rotten stuff we both know is out there on the Internet. If you can convince him that you're not putting yourself in any bad situations he will most likely back off a little bit.
  • edited December 2005
    yeah as you stated you dont know my dad, which is fortunate for you. he isnt a very easy guy to talk to and whenever i try to talk to him he starts to yell. but watever ill just deal with it and use one of my spare mouse akeyboards like you said. thanks for the idea.

bikerboy
  • edited January 2006
    i finally figured out what the problem was. my dad was shutting off the router at night causing my computer to lock up for some reason. any idea as to why it does that?

bikerboy
    edited January 2006
    It may be because the Internet/Networking side of Windows is losing the IP Address. Are you leaving any programs open which would be trying to connect overnight? (AIM, etc)

You could try manually releasing the IP and see if that makes a difference. You may also have to change your FAH settings so that "Ask before connecting" is set to "yes".
  • edited January 2006
    i have FAH set so that it has to ask me because i used to have dialup and sometimes i didnt want it to slow down my interent connection. i have been disably the wireless internet over night. i do have AIM running all the time and it is usually connected(except when my dad turns off the router). you said something about releasing the IP. hoow do you do that and what does it do?

bikerboy
    edited January 2006
    To release the IP Address, open a Command prompt, type in ipcong /release, then hit enter. To renew it again just replace the word "release" with "renew".
  • edited January 2006
    thanks for the help. ive convinced my dad that it does no harm to the router if it is left on overnight. so the problem has been fixed.

bikerboy
    edited January 2006
    Good to hear. :cheers: