Which socket 940 mobo and cooler for my Opteron?

ShpladShplad Toronto
edited December 2005 in Hardware
Hi friends:

Recently, I came across some Opteron 240s for next to nothing. So I bought them.
Now, I'd like to use one of them in a single CPU configuration as the basis for my main workstation.

Of course, since socket 940 was really designed to be server and high-end workstation class,
most of the motherboards I've come across are dual sockets. I really only need a single CPU.
Is there a decent single-CPU board that is stable considering that:

I don't game
I don't need great graphics performance
I don't overclock
I won't touch MSI with a 10-foot pole
I won't touch VIA chipsets

Oh, and it would be a bonus (though not a necessity) if it had some sort of onboard SCSI.
Doesn't need to be U320, could be slower. I liked the idea of nvidia, but I'm concerned about
that IDE data corruption issue. I assume that hasn't been fixed yet?

To cool said CPU, I will also need a cooler capable of being quiet, effective, and preferably,
without bolts. I've read some very good reviews of the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64, and then there is
that low-profile cooler out now from Arctic Cooling, the Silencer 64 Ultra TC. It's also
getting very good reviews.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Shplad

Comments

• FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited December 2005
    http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tomcatk8s_spec.html

If you can find one. I haven't looked so I don't know what's available.

Good Luck

Flint
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited December 2005
  • edited December 2005
    You could look for older A64 940 motherboards on eBay...They were designed to run the single proc only A64's so they're a little more mainstream than the newer Opteron class boards.

True they won't feature SLI or anything but it would be a good budget alternative.
  • ShpladShplad Toronto
    edited December 2005
    Thanks guys, those are some very good suggestions. Silly me, though, I forgot to mention I'd like the board to have a PCIe slot. I'm guessing no board exists like this yet. That's why I jumped on that photo on the AnandTech site.

Any other suggestions appreciated too!

Brainer
    edited December 2005
    I don't think there will be one with PCI-e as the single 1xx series Opterons are all S939 now. I couldn't see anyone actively pursueing development of a single S940 board with no new chips to put in it and none on the horizon. If S940 and PCIe is what you want, you'll have to go to a dual socket board.

Unless someone knows of something different.

Flint
  • ShpladShplad Toronto
    edited December 2005
    Hey all:

Okay, am I hallucinating, or does this board actually fit the requirements? If it does,
    I've found what I'm looking for!

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/products_motherboard_2.cfm?pName=NFPIK8AA-8EKRS

Acc. to the specs it's:
    - (Single) Socket 940
    - Nvidia nForce Pro 2200 and 2250
    - 2 x PCIe x16 (in true x16 signal mode), 1 x PCIe x4, 2 x PCIe x1, 1 x PCI

Can't imagine why I didn't notice it with that catchy model number.

Can anyone confirm whether the specs are accurate for this board? A red flag went up
    since I don't see mention of support for the Opteron 240 listed there.

Thank again,

Shplad
  • edited December 2005
    Watson old chap, I do believe you've hit upon something!
  • edited December 2005
    The 240 isn't listed but the 244 is...
    edited December 2005
    If it's a S940 board, it'll support a 240. The question becomes revision vs bios compatibility. But, I doubt your chips are E4 steppijngs (if they even exist as 240's) so I don't think you'll have a problem. 840's would even be supported, but a tremendous waste of $$$.

You should be good to go with that unit. Congrats for finding it!

Good Luck,

Flint
  • ShpladShplad Toronto
    edited December 2005
    Gee Fred, I've got to hand it to you, you sure know your motherboards.
    :-)

I've been thinking about either the new Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 or that other new quiet low-profile cooler from AC to do the job. Are they good choices?

Thanks.

Brainer
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited December 2005
    Shplad wrote:
    Gee Fred, I've got to hand it to you, you sure know your motherboards.
    :-)

I've been thinking about either the new Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 or that other new quiet low-profile cooler from AC to do the job. Are they good choices?

Thanks.

Brainer

Slap a zalman 7000 series on there and forget about it.

Tex
    edited December 2005
    That's, "fo..get aboutt it, ehhh!".

;D