Options

New PC boots but just runs, NOTHING ELSE

edited December 2005 in Hardware
I just got the new mobo for the pc being built and at first when i got everything hooked up it turned on and shut off immediatly. I reset the switch on the PSU and atried again, it worked but no image or anything, just running. Could this mean the board doesnt support AMD 64 Mobiles??

Gigabyte GA-K8NS
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ ClawHammer 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache
PNY Optima 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
Hitachi Deskstar 80GB
gf fx 5500 256mb
Aspire 450watt PSU
Zalman HSF

I know the ram is good. I used memtest on it

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited December 2005
    aznherb36 wrote:
    I just got the new mobo for the pc being built and at first when i got everything hooked up it turned on and shut off immediately. I reset the switch on the PSU and atried again, it worked but no image or anything, just running. Could this mean the board doesnt support AMD 64 Mobiles??

I know the ram is good. I used memtest on it

How far do you get with the display? What is about the last thing you see displayed? Does the motherboard light come on and stay on? Do you notice any codes or errors during or after POST? I'm assiming you have a display until after POST since you can run Memtest (is this right?). Can you get into Safe Mode at all? You should be able to get into BIOS- does it look OK?

I'm not too up on the AMD mobile, however, it looks like your mobo should support it and generally they will auto-detect what is required.
  • edited December 2005
    Im getting nothing, the monitor on/off light doesnt turn green, it just stays orange. All it does is it runs nothing showing
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    you may need to re-seat the video card ...make sure it's in the board well but don't press so hard on it to crack the motherboard. Just pull it out and re-seat it. If you need a connection to it make sure that is there as well.
  • edited December 2005
    did that. I tried a pci card as well didnt work.

At first when i booted it it just turned off immediatly(like 3 times). does that lead to something?
    edited December 2005
    Be sure to check the monitor connector too- sometimes it may "feel" in but isn't. Reseat it if it can be (if it's molded into the monitor- don't worry about it).

Your fans are on- yes? Do you have a light on your motherboard?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited December 2005
    Qeldroma wrote:
    How far do you get with the display? What is about the last thing you see displayed? Does the motherboard light come on and stay on? Do you notice any codes or errors during or after POST? I'm assiming you have a display until after POST since you can run Memtest (is this right?). Can you get into Safe Mode at all? You should be able to get into BIOS- does it look OK?

I'm not too up on the AMD mobile, however, it looks like your mobo should support it and generally they will auto-detect what is required.

I tried the amd 64 mobiles in 4 MB's and they didn't work in any of the ones I owned even after bios updates etc..

It sounds like he has the classic "no display at all" but all the fans and lights come on when he hits the power switch. I bet he ran memtest on another box.

Tex
    edited December 2005
    Tex wrote:
    I tried the amd 64 mobiles in 4 MB's and they didn't work in any of the ones I owned even after bios updates etc..

It sounds like he has the classic "no display at all" but all the fans and lights come on when he hits the power switch. I bet he ran memtest on another box.

Tex

Thanks, Tex. I couldn't piece together what aznherb was seeing and I haven't heard much about AMD Mobiles. I think others were stuggling as well as this thread went unanswered a while. My searches didn't turn up much except that they have the 754 footprint the K8NS accepts this and one AMD thread said that it should auto-detect it. I was thinking mobo or PSU.

EDIT: nvm.