Computer not wanting to start...

edited December 2005 in Hardware
After setting my computer to restart in safe mode when a friend downloaded and ran the new AIM virus that is going around the computer doesn’t want to do much. It starts, goes into the screen that lets you decide what mode it starts in. but I can’t use the keyboard to change it from normal mode (because that was the last mode it used correctly) to safe mode. On top of that when I boots in normal mode it gets to the windows logo then reboots again, doing the same thing. I can’t get into bios either because of the board thing.

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited December 2005
    Ok, though I'm not really sure how to help here, I will give it a shot.

Since your keyboard and other basic PC functions seem to be failing at the get-go, I suspect your BIOS may be corrupt, or the system board battery is dying.

Check your motherboard or PC maker manual to see how to reset your BIOS. Generally you do so by removing the battery and walking away for a while (about an hour) and/or by setting or removing jumpers.

You may also try replacing the battery- generally you can get them a your local grocery or department store, but you'll need to know what kind. Take it with you and see.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:
  • edited December 2005
    Well, the keyboard wants to work now. Weird, all I did was unplug, replug, try it a couple times. Though actually I think what it was is that I booted from a WIN CD (just unpluged all my hard drives) and it worked. But now I can't seem to get windows to work correctly. I don't want to format the drive, and I tried loading it onto another external drive, but that didn't work. I'm now wondering if there is anyway that I can try and get windows on here without killing my drive, or getting a new hard drive and starting over. Maybe the repair function, though I'm not very familer with it. So yeah, any ideas on loading windows?
  • edited December 2005
    OK, after much crapping out on me I finally got a version of windows to work. Now, new question, so I guess that this might need to be moved...

I re-installed windows over my old windows folder. I'm fairly certain that it wiped everything clean, for settings and what not. But I can still see my old "my documents" folder, and i'd like to get into that. but it says it's denied. Anyway to access it, or should i just write it off?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    Try using takeown to give yourself permission to access the files.