Video going full-screen by itself

fuxorfuxor i live in a giant bucket
edited December 2005 in Hardware
Hey everyone, long time no post :)

While not exactly an emergency issue (thankfully I've been emergency-free for the past year or so), I have run into an interesting glitch that I think I've seen before but wasn't able to solve. Several fruitless internet searches later (or perhaps just not knowing the right keywords to use), I came up with the brilliant idea of asking the good folks of Short-Media.

I originally noticed the issue on my old Toshiba laptop. Whenever I would go to play a video file, the screen would automatically change its resolution to the native resolution of the video and play it in full screen mode (which looked pretty bad and was choppy). My solution: sell it to my dad and put off having to reinstall windows for as long as possible.

On my home system, I just reinstalled WinXP pro (no dire situation, just felt like a fresh install to kick off the new year) and now the problem seems to have reared its ugly head again, only this time I have two monitors to work with.

Now, when I load up a video file, it's my secondary monitor that pops into ugly full-screen mode automatically, and the only way to apparently get back to the desktop on the second monitor is to close out the video player. If I load up a video player without opening a file, the problem won't happen; but once I try to load up a window off it goes. This is the same issue I had with the laptop. Seemingly no combination of settings has proven to resolve this issue, but it must be remedied.

I'm running a Radeon AIW 9600XT with both 21" monitors plugged into it, each running at 1600x1200. All drivers are up to date, and my multiple monitor setup is through good(?) ol windows display settings. I believe the laptop ran on a geforce2go. For this reason I'm more willing to bet that it's a simple software issue. What do you think?

edit//since this isn't a critical issue (although I'd love to have it resolved), please move this thread to a suitable forum if it doesn't belong here; it just seemed like the most appropriate place to put it.

Comments

• fuxorfuxor i live in a giant bucket
    edited December 2005
    an interesting twist: when I take the video player's window and move it onto the second monitor (where the video is playing full-screen), it automatically goes back to the normal desktop with the video playing in the window, but once I move it back to my main monitor, the full-screen video comes back.
    edited December 2005
    I completely removed the updated drivers for my video card and reinstalled the old ones that came on the cd, which now seem to work just fine. Interesting but I'll take it! So uh, thanks for reading my problem, even though no one suggested a solution ;)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    Sorry, man. This is what happens when your problem gets posted right before Christmas... :-/

I'm glad you got it figured out. :clap:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    :eek: hi fuxor! LONG time no see :D
    edited December 2005
    yeah it was acting strange, ATI's multimedia center was doing weird things, like choking on TV audio and not allowing me to move the video window to the second monitor, but after a couple reboots that problem also went away. All's well that ends well.

Hey prime, it has been a while hasn't it! Hope all has been well here.