RAID 0 Array + WindowsXPSP2 Installation Problem

edited January 2006 in Hardware
I recently installed an ePoX 5nva+SLi motherboard based off the nForce4 chipset. I enabled RAID in the bios for all my SATA ports and created a RAID 0 array with its built in tool (the f10 thing) and created my driver floppy. When I do the F6 in windows installation, I choose my floppy for my RAID drivers and the Storage controller. I then see my 2 WD Raptors 36.7g as one HD with 70 something gbs. I proceede to install windows, formating out the HDs, and begin to copy files. Then it says it cannot copy nvraid.sys and nvata.cat from my floppy. I press esc to skip, and it finishes, and when it reboots, i end up back where I started, with windows assesing my hardware configuration and trying to install again. So, now I think something is wrong with the floppy. I read the topic about raids on nforce4s and I did two things. I downloaded the nvidia drivers off their site and changed the txtsetup.oem file to what was said on the forum thread. I coppied all the files in the IDE\winxp folder except the raidtool folder. I then proceede to install windows, press f6, do the raid drivers and storage controller, and once again, it recognizes my 2hds as one, this time paritioned with the NTFS in place from the previous windows installation that went oh so well. Now I proceed to reformat the drives, based off what windows allows me to, and once again, install windows. This time, there seems to be no problem with missing files, and it gets to 100% and tells me to remove all floppys and it will reboot. I remove the floppy and it reboots, only to reassess my hardware configuration and now try and install windows AGAIN. Now what I have done is created a new floppy, copying the files from the IDE\winxp but I did not change the txtsetup.oem this time. Now I am once again reformating and reinstalling, but after 10 or more times of the same results, I am far from optimistic. Can anybody shed some light on my situation? Thanks.

Specs:
P4 3.4ghz LGA775 w/HT & EMT64 technology
2xWD Raptor SATAII drives
EpoX 5NVA+SLi motherboard w/ nVidia nForce4 chipset
2gb GEIL PC5300 DDR2 RAM
Standard NEC floppy
DVD+RW/CD+RW Drive
nVidia 7800GT 256mb GDDR3

Comments

• FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited January 2006
    I'm gonna try a quick and dirty suggestion and that is as follows:

Are you "Pressing any key to boot from CD" after all of the files load? After all of the files are loaded onto your hdd, be they raid or otherwise, XP tells you to remove any floppies and then it'll restart or you can press any key and it'll restart. Upon the restart, it reads the CD first and asks if you want to boot off of it. If you do, it'll start the install proceedure all over again!! If, however, you just leave the cursor sitting there, it will then boot off of the newly installed files on your hard disk and continue the install.

So, I believe it's as easy as doing nothing!! Pull the raid driver floppy, let it reboot by itself, and don't touch anything until well within the installation routines, like when it tells you that the raid drivers aren't whql.......etc.

That's what I think is happening from what you've said. If I'm wrong, I appologise.

Good Luck,

Flint