Can I increase my "LAN" "Link" speed ?

scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
edited December 2005 in Science & Tech
Hi Guys

Merry Christmas !!

I have been moving some large video files across my lan to another machine and wondering why it is taking so long. My entire network is wired with cat 5e cable all components are 100mbps link speed. If I can get half that I am lucky.
What kind of tranfer speed should I expect ?
Is there some "XP tweak" to speed this up ?
Is my "OLD" Linksys BEFSR41 V.2 router the bottle neck ?

All machines are running XP Pro SP2

From this screenshot both the machines involved in the "File transfer" support the 10/100/1000 interface.

I am lucky if I get 50mbs more likely 30 something.

Any tips tricks or pointers ???

Thanks

Scott

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited December 2005
    What brand and model are the nic cards.
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Both in question are "onboard"

DFI ultra d ( I am using the Marvel Yukon not the Nvidia )

Intel D875PBZ (" Intel Pro 1000 Network Connection" )

Thanks

Scott
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited December 2005
    Get a Gigabit switch and hook it to the router; hardwire both gigabit nics (the 2 computers in question) to the switch. They'll use the router at 100Mbps for internet, but use 1000Mbps to "talk" to each other.

So, in effect, you'll have a gigabit backbone network running and only use 100Mbps stuff for surfing, which I might add, depending on your connection, is more than you need anyway.

Good Luck,

Flint

Edit\\ Here are some to look at:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=GO&Range=1&InnerCata=30&bop=and&Range=1&description=networking&srchInDesc=Gigabit

I'm using this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833122140

You'll be absolutely amazed at the difference. I backup over this network to my NAS and it cranks.
    edited December 2005
    Thanks Flint ! :thumbsup:

But until I save up the dough for the gigabit switch......is there anything I can do ?

Or is this really about normal for my old router ?

Thanks again

Scott
    edited December 2005
    I'm not that knowledgeable about your router, so someone else will have to chime in here. But, with overhead, it sounds like you're probably close to what it can do.

Flint
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited December 2005
    a crossover calbe to the gigabit nics is how i do it with my main rig and other machines, and im talking in the 10's of gigs
    edited December 2005
    Are you using the offical drivers or windows ones (even ones that came on the cd).
    Update the drivers and force full duplex 100.

If it still fails to get any faster then the switch in the router is probably the problem.

edit: I had a befsr41 rev3 and it had no speed issues with 100 mbit.
    edited December 2005
    I am using the drivers that were on the Mobo cd's I will check if newer are available.

Here is a screenie of advanced properties of each.
    On the intel I switched from "Auto Detect" To "100 full Duplex " and it slowed my transfer speed to 10-12 mbps :(

On the marvel... I had no idea what to do.

I did update the firmware on my router recently. It is the latest release.

Any help on the settings below ? I will check for driver updates.

Thanks

Scott

Edit

It appears I have the latest drivers.
    lan.JPG 104.5K
    edited December 2005
    Looks like the switch in it is the problem (or a slow hdd).

Get a cat 6 cable and plug both machines into each other for the file transfer. (You will have full duplex gbit and will be limited to the hardrive speed)
    edited December 2005
    Must be the router. The intel based machine is running a raid array with 2 sata 150 drives and the DFI drives are also sata 150 ( Non Raid ) Cabeling the two is out of the question. One machine is in my office in the basement and the other is upstairs. ( The Media Center ) in the great Room. I guess I will start saving for that new Giga switch.

Thanks a bunch Guys !!!

Merry Christmas

Scott
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited December 2005
    Also, not mentioned here (although GreyFox mentions it somewhat) is that Cat 6 cable supports the 1gbps speed, Cat 5e was only designed for 100Mbps speed in mind.

Make sure you get the Cat 6 cable if you are to set up a gigabit network between the two computers.
    edited December 2005
    It actually depends on the run length. If you're only going 25-50 feet, cat 5e will be fine. But longer runs, then they are correct. No need to spend foolishly on cabling if you don't have to since apparently buying the switch is a stumbling block in the first place. I say to get the switch, hook it up, and see what speeds you achieve. If it's slow, then get the cable. If not, rock & roll with what you've got!!

Merry Christmas!!

Flint
    edited December 2005
    UPDATE

I'm stupid ! :rolleyes:

After a little poking around I discovered that I had, at some point switched some wires around on my router. And that one of the machines in question above was running through my switch in the back room with my farm ( 6 other machines ) So I did a little wire plumbing and got the 2 machines in question on the same router and low and behold it nearly doubled my throughput. :thumbsup: ( about 7-8 mins to move a 4 gig file )

I think this may hold me for a while.

Thanks for all your help guys ! It is appreciated !

Scott
    lan.JPG 79.1K
    edited December 2005
    Glad to hear you fixed the problem :).