Is dual channel memory important on A64'S?

KometeKomete Member
edited January 2006 in Hardware
Hi all, I'm looking at upgrade paths and was wondering if dual channel is important on 64 systems. I have 1 gig 2 x 512 and I want a system with 2 gig's. Just wondering if I should buy a 2 gig dual channel pack or if I could get buy with just buying 1 gig and use it with my current memory.

I'm looking at one of the dual core opterons, 3800x2, or just maybe a plain 64 939 cpu. It all comes down to how much I'm willing to convince myself to spend. Just curious if their is a performance drop.

Comments

• KometeKomete Member
    edited December 2005
    After reading some more it doesn't look like it does matter because the memory controller is on the chip.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    I think that dual channel has to do with increasing the bus width ...but I'm not certain.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited December 2005
    Thanks for the reply Csimon. I see your location says Acadiana. I'm in BR.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited December 2005
    The Socket 939 platform is a 'true' dual channel platform. Using two identical sticks of memory as opposed to a single, or odd number of sticks will provide approximatly double the memory bandwidth. (Around 6000MB/s as opposed to 3000MB/s at stock clockspeeds and DDR400) It is worthwhile IMO. Socket 754 is a single channel platform.
    edited January 2006
    Komete wrote:
    Thanks for the reply Csimon. I see your location says Acadiana. I'm in BR.
    Go Tigers! :rockon:
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2006
    Well lemone thanks for setting that streight 2gb set is on the list for sure now. Do you know if I need to be running the htt in sync with the memory?

so if I have a 9x250 oc do I need to have the ram running at a 250ddr also to get that dual channel benifit?

I'll be doing some overclocking but these 64's confuse me. Just trying to get my shopping list in order.

Tigers all the way man :thumbsup:
    edited January 2006
    mine don't run in sync but it would be nice if it did!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited January 2006
    Komete wrote:
    Well lemone thanks for setting that streight 2gb set is on the list for sure now. Do you know if I need to be running the htt in sync with the memory?

so if I have a 9x250 oc do I need to have the ram running at a 250ddr also to get that dual channel benifit?

I'll be doing some overclocking but these 64's confuse me. Just trying to get my shopping list in order.

Tigers all the way man :thumbsup:

As opposed to older platforms, the 754/939 platforms do not take a performance hit running async. Using the 5/6 or 3/4 divider will allow lots of overclocking headroom before your memory runs out of spec. If your memory can handle the PC4000 250MHz speeds, then even better :thumbsup: But it is not a necessity. You can get some pretty awesome overclocks even on value ram.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2006
    Well well well thats good news as I was getting ticked looking at the prices of the memory that could hit 280 in 2gb flavor. Actually it's a lot cheaper than the last time I upgraded. Pretty settled on the opteron 165.

Csimon, Looking at your system specs thats pretty much what I'm looking at getting. oc to 2.5 to 2.7ghz, 2gb of memory, and a 7800gt. How do you like that setup you have?
    edited January 2006
    Komete wrote:
    Csimon, Looking at your system specs thats pretty much what I'm looking at getting. oc to 2.5 to 2.7ghz, 2gb of memory, and a 7800gt. How do you like that setup you have?

I love this setup.

I wish I had a better stepping on my proc but that's the way things go sometimes. There are SOI improvements coming soon so by the time you buy you will probably be lucky and get 3ghz. You may also consider the 170 as I see most benefit from the x10 multi and not the x9 or the x11.

The mushkin ram is very expensive so if you find something that performs equal or better you could go that route. A little research would probably pay off quite well. Maybe look towards Patriot or OCZ before Mushkin.

A8R32 will be out soon ...I will probably upgrade to this board but I am very satisfied with the board I have. You should be aware that A8R-MVP has 1t cmd issues for a lot of people and also you will be limited to 1.4v vcore + aboout .05 overvolting.

Will you be watercooling or big typhoon?

Be sure to check out croc_'s 3800 setup as well ...he's getting great results too.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited January 2006
    unless you have a special need you probably won't feel any differance with 2gb versus 1gb.

Tex
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2006
    Well I do a lot of video work so I think it'll be benificial to me.

There seems to be more than a few memory choices out there but I'm leaning more towards OCZ. I'll be running on air and as far as the motherboard goes I'm still deciding. I was thinking about getting the asrock 939dual sata and use one of my AGP cards till I sell all my old stuff then buy a 7800gt or if I can convince myself a 7800gtx. Kind of upgrade in stages. It'll be a month or 2 before I buy. I usually spend a month or so researching.
    edited January 2006
    Komete wrote:
    Well I do a lot of video work so I think it'll be benificial to me.

There seems to be more than a few memory choices out there but I'm leaning more towards OCZ. I'll be running on air and as far as the motherboard goes I'm still deciding. I was thinking about getting the asrock 939dual sata and use one of my AGP cards till I sell all my old stuff then buy a 7800gt or if I can convince myself a 7800gtx. Kind of upgrade in stages. It'll be a month or 2 before I buy. I usually spend a month or so researching.
    OCZ is a great choice and you'll get support right here on the SM forums for sure!
    I was reading yesterday that a guy with week 50 165 is getting 2700 on stock 1.3 volts ...I hope to see an upward trend.