Can I use my Digital Camera just like a Web Cam?

edited December 2005 in Hardware
I have a Sony photocamera, it's got plenty of memory but is it possible to connect it to the computer through the USB cable and directly record data onto the computer? Or use it as a web cam? I know that it would be cheaper to buy one, but it never hurts to ask. I'm curious and it's been bugging me since I got the camera.
Thank you in advance and forgive my English :)

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    As webcams come with special software and regular digital cameras tend to ned to take pictures and then later be put in a transfer mode to load the data, probably not usable as a webcam, no. Second, webcams come with special software, so a webcam is what you need about 99% of the time-- there were a very few low-quality webcams you could use as digital cameras too that were made, but picture quality was not very good with them and after a few pics most folks just used them as webcams.
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited December 2005
    I've got a Fuji Finepix A303 and I can use it as a web cam.....as Straight_man says with the right software.

I don't have any details but it's just to let you know that it is possible to do with some cameras. You'll have to research yours a bit further. :)

p.s just looked up the software, it came with a really cheap webcam....it's Arcsoft PC CAM.

Cheers

Crypto