Ipod Video question

edited December 2005 in Hardware
i might have put this thread in the wrong category, but this was the best one relating to my question

i wanted to ask if it is possible to store data files on the ipod. can i put like any type of file in it? even .rar files?

also, i heard it has tv-out, so does that mean i could download .avi files and view them on my tv?

im planning to buy this tomorow cuz its boxing day (too bad i didn't see a price drop for this :shakehead )

thx for ur help!

Comments

• mondimondi Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    You can mount the ipod as a drive, and then put anything you want on it, I use mine exclusively as a harddrive. You cant play avi's off it though, unless you use it in harddrive mode and play the files with a computer, you have to convert the files to mp4's before the ipod will play them. Heres a tutorial on doing so: http://www.engadget.com/2005/10/14/how-to-convert-a-dvd-for-your-ipod-with-video-in-windows/

note that this is just the first link I pulled off google, so there may be other/better ways to do it..

M
  • BoogieBoogie Happy Valley, UT, USA
    edited December 2005
    Xilisoft makes a package that's pretty slick for converting AVI's to ipod compatible format. This package also includes another DVD ripping application to rip DVD's to AVI.
    I just got a 30 GB video ipod, and discovered an issue, wondering if anyone else has seen it. I've put a few video's on the ipod. Converted videos, m4p format. I play the video, and before it has finished, I want to listen to something. I pause the video as there is not really a way to "stop" the video. I navigate to my audio, and play it. The audio of the video picks up from where it was, and then goes funny, and garbled. I can hear the audio I wanted to listen to playing "slowed". This means the tone is lower, and playback is slowed also, like when you play an older vinyl record at a slower speed.

-updated: I've just experimented a bit, while writing this comment. The audio I was trying to play, noted above, was an Audible audio book. ".aa" format. Mp3's work fine, going right from a movie. Sooooooo, I guess I'll just have to play a song first, then switch to my audio book. :scratch: Guess this might be useful, if any of you like to listen to audio books. :D