"UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" NEED HELP TO FORMAT hARD DISK

edited January 2006 in Hardware
My computer not allowing me inside windows-XP" when ever start PC it shows "unmountable_boot_volume" in blue screen i dont have origanl XP CD for this PC, purchased this PC from neighbour he too dont have any CD for this PC... i tried my max level to fix this but nothing work'd so i decided to format whole hard disk becoz i dont have any important DATA in it and plan to run new installation from new XP setup CD that i got from a friend. Please Help me with this, is there any software to do Format and partition? were "i can't even get inside Windows" pls help with this i am getting mad were

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited December 2005
    prabu wrote:
    My computer not allowing me inside windows-XP" when ever start PC it shows "unmountable_boot_volume" in blue screen i dont have origanl XP CD for this PC, purchased this PC from neighbour he too dont have any CD for this PC... i tried my max level to fix this but nothing work'd so i decided to format whole hard disk becoz i dont have any important DATA in it and plan to run new installation from new XP setup CD that i got from a friend. Please Help me with this, is there any software to do Format and partition? were "i can't even get inside Windows" pls help with this i am getting mad were

Don't panic, but don't kid yourself either. This error usually appears if the OS file system had been damaged but it can also occur if you are using the wrong drive cable. Since it worked before, I'm assuming it's damaged files and, unless you have an XP installation CD, you very likely won't fix it on your own.

If you are going to reinstall the OS anyhow, the Windows XP installation CD has a lot of the formatting and partitioning tools you need and will walk you through doing it. Since the data doesn't matter and, if you have the time, it might also be a good time to use the full format feature. If you need help with this process, we can certainly help you at this forum.

To avoid complications, I would also recommend having your own disk- as using a friends installation CD may require an activation code and, honestly, we don't go looking to PO Microsoft here.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:
  • edited December 2005
    ================================================================
    "Since the data doesn't matter and, if you have the time, it might also be a good time to use the full format feature. If you need help with this process, we can certainly help you at this forum.
    To avoid complications, I would also recommend having your own disk- as using a friends installation CD may require an activation code and, honestly, we don't go looking to PO Microsoft here"
    ================================================================

Prabhu: Yes i am ready to follow your direction pls guide me with this and CD i bought from my friend is Just "single CD"

Prabhu: What is Activation code? you mean serial number? i have serial number with that CD to instal,is that enough or need spl Activation code?If yes then i am in seriouse problem ! i dont have such code help me with that tooo

Prabhu : You give better solution what to do, i am not withstanding with one idea i do what ever you expert say.. i just follow it

Prabhu : guide me
    edited December 2005
    prabu wrote:
    Prabhu: Yes i am ready to follow your direction pls guide me with this and CD i bought from my friend is Just "single CD"

Prabhu: What is Activation code? you mean serial number? i have serial number with that CD to instal,is that enough or need spl Activation code?If yes then i am in seriouse problem ! i dont have such code help me with that tooo

Prabhu : You give better solution what to do, i am not withstanding with one idea i do what ever you expert say.. i just follow it

Prabhu : guide me

The Product Activation Code (PAC) is a unique 25 character code that Microsoft uses to identify legally obtained licenses of Windows XP. The code should be communicated to Microsoft within a specified period of time or XP ceases to operate. It is found on or in the CD case and is usually on a sticker that should be put on the PC XP is installed on. Should someone try to install that copy of XP on another PC, Microsoft could make things difficult.

There are some methods to work around this- some are even legal. IF your friends' version, however, is a private single license and currently has it in use on another machine, you could have complications after installation.

In response to helping you install XP, you must first guide us a little and tell us some things about your PC and how you are going to set it up. First, can you tell us what kind of PC is it (like a Dell or homemade and if homemade what kind of motherboard is in it) and what kind of hard drive(s)- size, SCSI, SATA, IDE? Are you planning on setting up a RAID array for this install? What version of XP is on the install CD?

Also understand that I/we at SM can be working/family people so may be in and out of this thread as needs be, so please be patient if responses take a while or come from different people.

EDIT: One other thing- if we go this route, this may no longer be considered an emergency issue by the moderators and your thread may be moved. Just follow the replacement link.
  • edited December 2005
    Dear Qeldroma,

Number of Physical Hard Disk inside Comp: 1

Details showed in BIOS:

Drivers:
    Primary Type Cyls Hds Pre LZ Sec Size
    DRIVE 0: Auto 784 255 -1 784 63 6448
    DRIVE 1: None

Secondary:
    DRIVE 0: Auto CD-ROM DEVICE
    DRIVE 1: None

Boot Device Priority:

CD-ROM Device
    Diskette Drive A:
    Hard-Disk Drive C:
    PXE

Boot Sequence: CD -ROM First

System PtiPlex GX1 450L+ Setup BIOS VERSION:A04

I want to have two partition in this Hard disk C: and D:

Actually i want to Fix this problem as soon as possible before my exam starts, i have lots of stuff to practise with that PC.
    edited December 2005
    Well, you have a pretty standard set-up for an XP install and my only advice for you is if your hard drive is small (about 20GB or less by todays standards), I would steer away from using more than one partition. As it is, XP should have 2GB of space and I'd recommend no less than 4GB and that is if you are NOT doing a major application. If it is necessary for you to use two partitions, purchasing a larger IDE drive is a very inexpensive solution- and you may want to do so anyhow. You may have to update your BIOS to support a larger drive, but it may be worth the effort. Else, you can load up your install CD and simply follow the directions given you. You don't have SATA/SCSI and you're not doing a repair or recovery- so you can ignore all the transient prompts until you get to the Set-up display and then you simply press Enter and follow directions. Personally, I would select NTFS as the file system and do the full (not the quick) format. Understand that once you execute the format, EVERYTHING currently on that drive will be lost.

In short, there really isn't that much more guidance I would give you here. Others with more wisdom than me may chime in, but that is essentially it. Feel free to post questions or problems about the install you may have.
    edited December 2005
    Actually, there is one thing- what are you planning for this PC? What major applications are you thinking of installing?

EDIT ADDED: How much memory do you have?
  • edited December 2005
    Yes i loaded my install CD But CD rom just blinking there's no change at all it doesnt take me to install mode just same thing happening again like joice of selection mode like " safe mode" or "last configuration worked" "commond Prompt" like that only if i select anyone of that it take me to same place "Blue Screen" ! my memory 256 MB RAM
  • edited December 2005
    i think i have changed setting in Primary and Secondary Drive which messed lot with it .i want to bring it to default setting in BIOS what to do? i just want to run setup as soon as possible, also setting of CD Rom messed in BIOS... i just need my PC work as soon as possible...
    edited December 2005
    OK, I think I'm beginning to get the picture, but let me see if I understand you correctly.

Did you change the jumper settings on your drives? In the configuration your BIOS is showing (which is a good one, by the way) you should have the jumpers on both CD and Hard drives set to Single (sometimes called Master without Slave). The jumper convention is often on a sticker on the drive. If there is no sticker or you can't figure it out, tell us the make and model of the drive if you can. Also, each drive should be on the END of the IDE cable (if it is a two-drive cable).

Also, it sounds like you are bypassing the CD boot and going on to the Hard Drive. Try powering up again and pay attention to the screen immediately after POST (Power On Self Test- which happens when your computer beeps). You should see the screen say something like "Boot from CD ...". On many systems, you must press a key at this point to prompt the system to boot from CD. Try that.

Hope that helps.

Sorry if I'm in and out- I'm doing stuff with the family for the holidays and I'm sure many others at SM are too.
  • fuxorfuxor i live in a giant bucket
    edited December 2005
    you should also make sure that your boot sequence is set to try to boot from the CD drive before the hard disk; this could be why you aren't getting the option to boot from the CD.

I think that messing with the jumper settings would make the drives not recognize at all, rather than corrupt the data on the drive. At least I haven't heard of it causing data loss before. If you reinstall windows and the hard drive does this again, or begins to click conspicuously, it may be time to retire the little guy and buy a new one. They're dirt cheap these days.

Lastly, if you can't get ahold of a copy of windows, perhaps you could consider a open source/free Operating system. There are many flavors of Linux available, many of which are available for free download, and are getting to be increasingly user-friendly. I see that you have acquired a copy of windows, but this might not be a bad idea for future reference.
    edited December 2005
    fuxor wrote:
    you should also make sure that your boot sequence is set to try to boot from the CD drive before the hard disk; this could be why you aren't getting the option to boot from the CD.

Read post #5.
    fuxor wrote:
    I think that messing with the jumper settings would make the drives not recognize at all, rather than corrupt the data on the drive...

In many cases you are correct. However, I've had systems that do not follow the conventional wisdom or specification. I thought it was important that he should at least check since he DID say he messed with it (post #9).
    fuxor wrote:
    Lastly, if you can't get ahold of a copy of windows, perhaps you could consider a open source/free Operating system. There are many flavors of Linux available, many of which are available for free download, and are getting to be increasingly user-friendly. I see that you have acquired a copy of windows, but this might not be a bad idea for future reference.

He did say he has the XP installation CD (post #3). It IS possible that his copy is damaged or an improperly burned XP boot image- in this case I would also suggest obtaining a bootable copy. If he goes the Linux route, guidance here will obviously have to change and I would suggest a new thread and a little more time Prabu may not have . :D .

However, that said, there may still be another problem we haven't unearthed yet that neither Linux or XP can fix, and Prabu is having difficulty expaining it- so it may take a while. It is an old PC and problems like a dying system battery and bad memory are possible. And that might have been my next suggestion if he failed to get it going at this point.
  • edited December 2005
    I really appreciate you both for supporting me to do best. I think i have to check out what "FUXOR" said

"you should also make sure that your boot sequence is set to try to boot from the CD drive before the hard disk; this could be why you aren't getting the option to boot from the CD."

But i dont know how to be sure in my setting is correct to boot from CD ROM in BIOS. please how setting should be to load from CD ROM.

yesterday i got frustrated so i open'd my CPU cabin i removed battery from mother board then replaced it again... may look like pointless but to show my agony to my computer ha ha ha funny

what about jumper button i didnt see any one in my mother board, itwill have in hard disk drive? if you suggest me to peal sticker in hard disk i will peal to find jumper button in Hard Disk Drive.

Thanks Suggesting and withstanding with me to solve my problem really appreciated !

Keep It Up ! great job
  • edited December 2005
    I really appreciate you both for supporting me to do best. I think i have to check out what "FUXOR" said

"FUXOR : you should also make sure that your boot sequence is set to try to boot from the CD drive before the hard disk; this could be why you aren't getting the option to boot from the CD."

But i dont know how to be sure in my setting is correct to boot from CD ROM in BIOS. please tell me how setting should be to load from CD ROM.

yesterday i got frustrated so i open'd my CPU cabin i removed battery from mother board then replaced it again... may look like pointless but to show my agony to my computer ha ha ha funny :D

what about jumper button i didnt see any one in my mother board, itwill have in hard disk drive? if you suggest me to peal sticker in hard disk i will peal to find jumper button in Hard Disk Drive.

Thanks Suggesting and withstanding with me to solve my problem really appreciated !

Keep It Up ! great job :cheers:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    prabu wrote:
    ...But i dont know how to be sure in my setting is correct to boot from CD ROM in BIOS. please tell me how setting should be to load from CD ROM...
    See the third picture from the top in this article. Your BIOS may look a little different, but this is the general idea.
    what about jumper button i didnt see any one in my mother board, itwill have in hard disk drive? if you suggest me to peal sticker in hard disk i will peal to find jumper button in Hard Disk Drive...
    Don't peel any stickers - that will only void your warranty and possibly damage the drive if you accidentally open the chamber. You should look on the sticker to see where to place the jumper for your drive.

This picture is of a hard drive, but it's the same idea for a cdrom:
  • edited December 2005
    I didn't see any jumper button in hard disk drive or Mother board or even in CD ROM i didn't messed up with jumper button. what i did was just removed battery from mother board and replaced it again . when insert XP SETUP CD in good condition PC its automatically poping up window screen to instal XP.

i think problem is setting up CD Rom first to boot before hard drive identified .. help me with this please
    edited December 2005
    prabu wrote:
    I didn't see any jumper button in hard disk drive or Mother board or even in CD ROM i didn't messed up with jumper button...
    Look on the end where the data and power cables get plugged in. But, if the drives were working before and you didn't switch any cables around then I agree that that is probably not the cause of your problem.

i think problem is setting up CD Rom first to boot before hard drive identified .. help me with this please
    Look through the BIOS for something like "Boot Order", "Boot Sequence" or "Boot Priority". Depending on your machine, this might be found in one of any number of different places in the BIOS.

Another thing: When you first start the computer, watch the bottom of the screen carefully. What you're looking for is a message like "Press any key to boot from CD". As soon as that appears, hit a key on the keyboard. :)
  • edited December 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Another thing: When you first start the computer, watch the bottom of the screen carefully. What you're looking for is a message like . As soon as that appears, hit a key on the keyboard. :)

Now i changed something in BIOS

Boot Device Priority:
    "CD Rom" Device
    "Diskette Drive A:"
    "Hard-Disk Drive C:"
    " PXE "
    i dont know what is "PXE" so i left it last

Exclude from Boot Device Priority:
    this section is Blank

Device Controller Priority:
    System BIOS boot devices

after doing all this changes still not working i dont see such thing "Press any key to boot from CD" ! :scratch:

I want to give clear details to you so i planned to record all things happening in my PC booting to blue screen "unmountable_boot_volume" also "BIOS" settings,
    wil be posting that video here to have ClearLOOK. i am using another PC with Webcam so its possible to record screen of problem existing " PC " whats problem is i dont have Software to record video using Webcam i am searching in google soon find one and post u video here so that people know whats happening with my sick PC. IF you ppl know any free ware for webcam to record video pls info me

Wish You All Happy NEW YEAR 2006 :celebrate

thanks for ppl coming with solution for my problem are real :Rocker: Rocker's

With
    :respect: Prabhu
  • edited December 2005
    Oh man something happend
    i cant belive my eyes :rockon: Its working :thumbup
    i made it :D oh my god :aol: its working
    i am out of word to explain what i feel now
    i can't put it in words i feel great
    its working
    i am here to say all this because of you people Really done Great Job
    i personelly Appriciate each and everyone here for helping me
    Without you people i wont made it happen thanks again !

God bless you all Lets Celebrate this :celebrate :cheers: :Rocker: :thumbsup:
    edited December 2005
    What did you do to get it going?

I'm glad you got it! :clap:
  • edited December 2005
    AGain i got into problem
    i inserted XP setup CD and it starts CALDERA DOS it stops in [DR-DOS] A:\> i can't run XP setup

after i try'd some commond which i dont know problerly like "fdisk" i just did what ever i thought but finnaly it created some partition but not helping me to run XP setup so i want to format whole hard disk and run fresh new partition pls tell the procedure to follow

another strange thing happend after showing [DR-DOS] A:\> i didn't type anything for while so it started to do like this but its own

[DR-DOS] A:\>//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// stoped and made some beep sound . why it like this ?
    edited December 2005
    CALDERA DOS is a non-Microsoft Disk Operating System. It is used for a lot of boot disk utilities, such as those which come with many hard drives. Did you use an installation disk from a HD company? It may have installed a drive overlay which wants to "manage" the drive settings after the BIOS has done it's normal routine.

Also, you didn't by chance leave a disk in the floppy drive did you? ;)
    edited December 2005
    prabu wrote:
    A:\>//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// stoped and made some beep sound . why it like this ?

You probably have a stuck "/" key. :)
  • edited December 2005
    Now i have inserted XP setup CD in a CD rom then i created MS Dos Startup Diskette from this PC so now i inserted Floppy disk also changed BIOS setting in Booting order: 1 Floppy disk first and 2 CD room second

changes :
    Starting.........

Microsoft(R) Windows Millenium
    (c) Copyrite bla bla bla....
    A:\>_ its stops here

what i should donext to start fdisk and Setup new XP

If CD ROMSET BE FIRST THE SAME CALDERA DOS starts even it accept Fdisk commond but i dont know what to do next all i know is just typing Fdisk !
    edited December 2005
    prabu wrote:
    what i should donext to start fdisk and Setup new XP

If CD ROMSET BE FIRST THE SAME CALDERA DOS starts even it accept Fdisk commond but i dont know what to do next all i know is just typing Fdisk !

With the set-up you have, simply remove the floppy and turn the PC on. What does the screen say after boot?

Hmmm- what is written ON the CD? Is it a Microsoft CD that says it is Windows XP? Or is it a CD that someone else might have made besides Microsoft? I'm beginning to think this is not an XP install CD.
  • edited December 2005
    While i am Coping XP setup CD in NERO "MAKE BOOTABLE CD"
    . i selected in a option "use Standard boot image" i think its problem now
    i am again trying to Copy CD selecting "read boot disc in drive" were i selected "Floppy Drive" is that floppy drive should have any file in it?
    i just placed empty Floppy disk in floppy drive and empty CD in CD drive to burn new XP Setup Disk.

is there any file i should store infloppy disk before performing ?
    edited December 2005
    I'm with Qeldroma on this one. Are you using a regular WinXP CD?

If so, why are you copying it?
  • edited January 2006
    In Caldera DOS promt i created partition C: D: and Formated C: division alone. i can't format division D: but i can format drive C: by typing " [DR-DOS] A:\>Format C: /x" but same thing not worked with D: i try'd with "format D: /x" but not worked !

After Partition and format system displays: "system need to be reloaded Insert System disk in A: and restart"

what is system disk ? were i get that ?

I want to set my CD-ROm as drive E: and Floppy Drive as A:
    is that set default or we want to creat while partition process?
    edited January 2006
    prabu wrote:
    In Caldera DOS promt i created partition C: D: and Formated C: division alone. i can't format division D: but i can format drive C: by typing " [DR-DOS] A:\>Format C: /x" but same thing not worked with D: i try'd with "format D: /x" but not worked !

After Partition and format system displays: "system need to be reloaded Insert System disk in A: and restart"

what is system disk ? were i get that ?

I want to set my CD-ROm as drive E: and Floppy Drive as A:
    is that set default or we want to creat while partition process?

I think you may be able to create partitions with Caldera DOS, but you may not be able to install a bootable copy of XP this way. I also think you have an improperly burned copy of the XP installation CD.

I personally will have difficulty supporting you until you can obtain a properly operating copy of Windows XP. That said, I will also say that once you have one- I think you'll find the install process much more straightforward.
  • edited January 2006
    when i started PC were CD boot first it shows me like this :

(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.

A:\>dir
    Volume in drive A
    VolumeSerial Number
    Directory of A:\

EGA2 CP1
    EGA3 CP1
    EGA CP1
    KEYB COM
    KEYBOARD SYS
    KEYBRD2 SYS
    KEYBRD3 SYS
    KEYBRD4 SYS
    MODE COM
    COMMAND COM
    DISPLAY SYS
    CONFIG SYS
    12 FILES(S) xxxxxxx BYTES
    0 DIR(S) xxxxxxxxx BYTES FREE

AND ITS NOT ORIGINAL XP SETUP CD ITS COPIED ONE
    edited January 2006
    prabu wrote:
    when i started PC were CD boot first it shows me like this :

(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999...

AND ITS NOT ORIGINAL XP SETUP CD ITS COPIED ONE
    It's not XP, either.

If this is an illicit copy you are screwed. If this is a legal copy of WinME (Millenium Edition) you are also screwed. (It sucks)

You need to find a legitimate copy of WinXP and use that. If you don't want to pay for it, you need to check out our Linux Forum.

:thumbsup: