nuthouse candidate

edited December 2005 in Hardware
CompaqArmada
7400 When I switch the machine on the power led ,battery and drive access light come on for about 1 second then go out . The caps lock ,scroll lock and number lock lights come on and stay on. There are 4 beeps, gradually decreasing in length,and the screen stays blank.It's a new battery and hard drive and I've tried all combinations of battery in ,out AC adaptor in ,out and floppy in and out .I had the memory tested and it's ok.The processer heats up so there is power to it. I've tried another cpu from a working machine but still have the same problems.To switch it off I have to press CTRL while holding the power switch. It's an old laptop so I am willing to experiment with it if anyone has any suggestions as to what is causing this problem. I bought another one from ebay to use as spares,it was "working ,then H/D ,memory and battery removed "before sale . Out of interest I tried it as soon as I got it and guess what, the same problem.
It has a P11 300 cpu ,Floppy and CD with a 6GB hard drive.
I tried an external monitor and keyboard connected but this makes no difference.So if there is a Genius or mad proffesor out there who can help I would appreciate it ,any suggestion no matter how simple or complicated would be helpful (as long as they are physically possible),.

many thanks J

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    :shakehead So it's like the computer is on, but just no display?

Seems like a bad video card to me.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    Four beeps often indicate a memory problem. Are they spaced evenly apart or are they in a pattern, such as long-short-short-short, etc?
  • edited December 2005
    Sorry .Should have mentioned it's a laptop and both memory slots are used ,64MB in each and they have been tested OK. I have seen this problem before on other sites but no solutions have been posted.I have tried different floppy drives and cd drives but it makes no difference .I think the video is built in as I can't see a seperate card.I'll keep trying as i don't like to be beaten by a bunch of trannys and caps.Humans should be better than them as our brain power built them.The four beeps decrease in length from 1.5 seconds downwards.

Thanks J
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    jafattz wrote:
    ...I bought another one from ebay to use as spares,it was "working ,then H/D ,memory and battery removed "before sale . Out of interest I tried it as soon as I got it and guess what, the same problem...
    Assuming you didn't get ripped off on eBay, that would seem to narrow it down to the HD, RAM, or battery, since they were the only parts from the old laptop moved over to the new one. Since it powers up, it doesn't look like it's the battery, and it shouldn't need a working HD to at least put a picture on the screen. This brings us back to the memory.

You say that the memory has been tested and is OK. How was that done? Even if the memory is good it doesn't guarantee anything about compatibility with your particular machine.