SATA Drive Install

edited January 2006 in Hardware
I removed the original hard drive and installed a Seagate SATA drive and SiI 3112 SATA PCI host card.

At boot-up time I get the message Primary hard disk 0 and 1 not found but it lists the SiI 3112 (Card) BIOS version 4.2.12 (Vantec, Silicon Image.)
It also tells me: Primary Channel: Drive not found, Secondary Channel: ST316... 152627MB (the new SATA drive.)

Setup shows Primary Drive 0 and 1 as Unknown Device. Hard Drive Sequence shows 1.System Boot 2. ST3160827AS (my new SATA drive.) There is no provision to refer to the SATA drive in Setup.

Device manager shows SCSI an RAID Controllers as Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATALINK Controller with message "This device is working Properly."

The system boots with some message problems (e.g. Press F1 to continue) but I can run the application programs okay. If I connect the old drive, Windows XP will boot from it rather than my new drive.

I wish to have my SATA drive as primary and than add another ATA drive.

Dell Dimension Pentium 4, 2.6 GH, Windows XP Pro SP2.

Comments

• FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited January 2006
    Did you load Windows on this computer as a fresh install on the new Seagate and controller card as the only dirves in the system at the time or was the original harddrive also connected during the install?

Flint
  • edited January 2006
    Flintstone wrote:
    Did you load Windows on this computer as a fresh install on the new Seagate and controller card as the only dirves in the system at the time or was the original harddrive also connected during the install?

I did a fresh install of Windows XP on the Seagate SATA drive. During pre-installation, I pressed F6 to load provided drivers for the Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATALink Controller, PCI host card (Vantec brand.)

They were the only drives in the system. The original drive was not connected during the process (I later connected the original ATA drive to copy some files but removed it when I was finsihed.)