LAG in Doom3

edited January 2006 in Hardware
Yesterday I just finished downloading doom3 on my desktop in my sig. I tried high settings and I wasn't even getting close to 20 fps. Even when I set everything to moderate settings with no AA and no AF it was still lagging at around 40 fps avg and dropping to 20 fps when intensive game play is encountered.

I could run halflife2 lost coast smoothly on high settings, and hl2 lost coast is newer and more demanding than doom3? what's the problem with doom?

I have a friend who has the exact spec as I do, except he has the geforce 6600 GT 256mb, and he get MUCH better fps in doom3 than I do but not in halflife2 or quake4.

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited December 2005
    Hmm, that is odd.. What version of the catalyst drivers are you running? Try to update to the latest 5.13..

Also, turn off Shadows in D3, that seems to give an almost 20fps hit and does very little to improve the game environment.

The previous-gen ATI cards are weaker in OpenGL than nvidia cards, but it should not be that poor. IIRC, I got about 108fps at 1280x1024, High quality with AA and shadows off with an X850XT.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Sounds like a standard ATI card to me "Sapphire X800GTO @ 475mhz/1.05ghz"

I am joking I just ahd to say it :)
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited January 2006
    nVidia pwns ATi in Doom.
  • edited January 2006
    Nightwolf wrote:
    nVidia pwns ATi in Doom.

Yep, just did a bit more research and it turns out Nvidia cards outperform the same-class ATI cards in Doom 3 by 30-40%. Ouch, guess I'll have to play mid or low settings then...:bawling:
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited January 2006
    Mid settings is still amazing in doom!