Government subsidized folding?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited December 2005 in Folding@Home
I wonder if there's any way you could get a tax break from the government or some kind of grant to purchase computers if you were going to set up a folding farm. Of course, you'd probably have to do all kinds of paperwork to make it happen if it were possible.

Or maybe the government could offer a special low low price to purchase their old computers that they were going to replace anyhow. Chances are that a lot of them would be less than 2-3 years old and at least a 2 Ghz CPU.

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited December 2005
    AFAIK, the powers that be are trying to do away with "Farm Subsidies"

(o.k. bad one.)

As far as the Govt. computers. Went to a state auction and saw just what they were getting rid of. Pentium era pc's for 50$ to start. Nothing newer, mind you this was just the pc, monitors,kb, mice were seperate. This was about 18 mos. ago.

Someplace in these forums (lazyness has set in) there was talk about how much of a hassle it would be to get non-profit status.

You might have better luck looking for corporate sponsorship!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    This has been talked about several times in the past, but nobody could swing it, or nobody was willing to risk a tax audit... if you can swing it successfully, you just might become a hero.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Oh, I'm far too lazy and busy with other things to actually do it myself. I was just wondering if anyone else had ever done it.