Time to upgrade

EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
edited January 2006 in Hardware
I've decided to upgrade my system now because I've been waiting a while and finally have the money to do so. I have around £600 to spend in total and I am only intending on upgrading the Processor, Motherboard and Graphics card (old graphics card is an ATi Radeon X800XT but ATi's Linux support is garbage to say the least so I'm going to nVidia once again). I'm using two sticks of 400Mhz 512MB DDR RAM anyway now so I don't need to upgrade the RAM.

So yeah, I'm guessing the graphics card is going to be a 7800GT as the GTX costs too much more for a not particularly big performance boost. So the recommendations I am looking for is what processor and motherboard do people recommand now as I have been out of the loop for quite some time. Please take cost into consideration as there isn't any point recommending something way out of my price league, heh.

Oh and Shorty can finally have his motherboard back.

Comments

• WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    What you going to do with your X800?
  • edited January 2006
    Since you only have £600 to spend, I would suggest going with something like this 6800GS vid card instead of the much more expensive 7800GT. These overclock to higher speeds than a 6800 Ultra from what I've read on the web and leaves you more money for the mobo/proc. Price=£175

For a motherboard, you might go with the Epox 9NPA+ SLI board for £96.

For a proc, I recommend an X2 3800+ for £233 or if you can find one in the UK an Opteron 165.

Total for parts=£504. This give you plenty of leeway for shipping.:)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Shipping isn't an issue and I'd rather not overclock to be honest. I've been looking at that Epox board but it seems a little pointless paying extra for SLi as I never intend to use it.

Current thoughts are -
    Athlon64 X2 3800+ [£233]
    XFX GeForce 7800GT Extreme [£248]
    Asus A8N-E [£65]

Although I have a new worry (crossposted from Hexus) -
    I'm upgrading my machine from a Biostar motherboard, Athlon64 3200+ and Radeon X800XT to a new motherboard (haven't been able to decide which yet), Athlon64 X2 3800+ and GeForce 7800GT. Currently I'm using an old Enermax 431w PSU but I have a feeling it may not be able to cut it with the new machine, the new machine also needs a 24 pin ATX connector rather than 20 pin. So what PSU so people recommend? I kinda don't have that much money for one so I can't really afford to spend £100 on a new PSU (also seems a bit OTT).

Will it cut it or do I need a new one?

Winga: Sell it. I need to sell everything to raise enough funds to subsidise buying all this (other than the motherboard that isn't actually mine).
  • edited January 2006
    Oops, I forgot about the psu myself. I'm still using an AGP board for my Opti system so I wasn't forced to consider an EPS psu. You might get by with that Enermax 431 but I would suggest that you get a 20>24 pin adapter. If you decide to get a new psu, look for something in the 500 watt range from a quality manufacturer such as Fortron Source or OCZ. I think that a quality psu will cost you somewhere around £100 or so though.

I would try the Enermax out first before replacing it. Since you don't overclock much, you won't be putting the extra strain of overclocking on the psu.
    edited January 2006
    Is OCZ started paying SM since Mack started working there as mods seem to be pushing it all the time and there is even a forum specifically for OCZ now too... yet I never heard anything special about it or any particular mentions of it before Mack started working for them...
  • edited January 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    Is OCZ started paying SM since Mack started working there as mods seem to be pushing it all the time and there is even a forum specifically for OCZ now too... yet I never heard anything special about it or any particular mentions of it before Mack started working for them...

Nope, no kickbacks from OCZ. The last 3-4 years they have been turning out some quality products and backing it with quality support, that's why I recommend their products. I personally have never been one to let anyone change my mind about what I think their product is like, be it for money or other goods. If the product is **** I call it a stinker and don't recommend it, be it computer parts or drilling fluid products and services. My attitude has gotten me in a bind before too in my profession, because I wasn't a "team player". :rolleyes:
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I can assure there are no kickbacks at all Enverex. The reason i am here as a OCZ representative is because you and all the rest here have been my friends since forever. This is my chance to pay back a little to SM.
    edited January 2006
    Fair enough. It's just I came back and stood back from SM a bit and wondered if there had been a buyout or something, heh.

Anyway, what motherboard do people recommend (remember, non-SLi and non-uberexpensive).
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited January 2006
    ^^I love my MSI k8n neo4-f, fast, very reliable/stable, and overclocks fairly well. You can pick it up for around $80 i believe!
    edited January 2006
    Yeah, I looked at that one but I decided to go with the Asus instead.

Well, I've just ordered....

Item: Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Midi Tower - With 450W ATX2 PSU
    Item: XFX 7800GT 256MB DDR3 Dual DVI VIVO PCI-E
    Item: Asus A8N-E S939 nForce 4 ATX Sound Giga lan USB 2.0 FSB1000 SATA
    Item: AMD Athlon 64 (ADA3800BVBOX) X2 3800+ Socket 939 Dual Core 2.0ghz 512Kb and 512Kb Cache

I needed a new case anyway as this one cost like £20 and has crap airflow. I went slightly over budget, but it gets me a new PSU and decent case at the same time (has a 120mm fan on it which should help).

Yay. :P
  • edited January 2006
    That Asus board you alluded to earlier would be a nice choice, as well as the non+ version of the Epox board I linked to. Both are about in the same price range. I would go for the one that has the most features that you need for the price.

EDIT: Oops, I see you already decided on the Asus board, good choice. Glad to see you figured what to do about the psu and case too. You should be able to get a little back by seling the old psu and case to help cover the costs.