blank screen, will not continue with installation of XP Home

edited January 2006 in Hardware
i,I am trying to install XP Professional on Desktop, AMD Processor 512MB RAM.

speed. First, I set up to boot from CD drive and save the changes exit from Boot setup. Then

on the screen appears " Press any key to boot from CD..". I press the key and rigth after on

the screen appears " setup is inspecting your hardware configuration". In about 5-10 seconds

it disappears and all that have left is blank screen with noisy hardrive. It will not load

the installation wizard from CD. Any ideas, what is the problem?
Thank You

Comments

• NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited January 2006
    I was building some computers for a friends family and had the same problem, ended up being the ram.
  • edited January 2006
    Hi, I have pretty much the same problem as the two above.

I was reinstalling my XP and after it is done and browse the web a little bit, the computer suddenly reset. When it is booting, after detecting the devices in the boot sequence, the screen goes blank (while usually the windows logo and the blue progress bar should appear). Then I booting with the XP CD, and then I have the problem the above report.

However, I can boot with a Win98 floppy and get to DOS prompt.

By the way, I wonder if Nightwolf on 2nd floor can explain more on the RAM problem. Thanks.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    If you have a spare video card laying around, try using that temporarily to get you through the installation. Even an antique PCI video card might help. Give us more details about your hardware (MB, RAM, Video Card, etc). :)
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited January 2006
    Something you may want to do is check your RAM settings depending on what kind of MOBO you have. If you have tried to overclock before you did the reinstall and didn't set your mobo back to factory specs then that can and will be a culpret of an install hang. Heh, found this out from experience.

I'll second profdlp's question about what kind of hardware you have.