cd-rom does not work

edited February 2006 in Hardware
ok here is my problem. I have had this problem for over half a year I think its time to fix it finally. My copmuter doesnt recognize any cd-rom be it usb or ide. So i cant even use a usb to fix it. I am so stumped on this. I tryed 4 different cd-roms and 2 or 3 different ide ribbons and it still doesnt work and checked and double checked my slave settings and master settings. I need some real help. Please help me

-thanks Kyle-

Comments

• edited January 2006
    Sounds like a messed up OS to me. Might be time to reinstall your operating system.

But first, confirm that it is an software problem by setting your CD-ROM as a slave to your C: drive. If it works there, move the ribbon from the primary IDE connector to the secondary IDE and reboot. Does your BIOS recognise the drives? If not, your secondary IDE channel is most likely dead. Time for a new Motherboard.

Bob
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    bobell gave you some good advice. I'd start with that. :)

One other thing to check is that all the IDE Channels are set to "AUto" in the BIOS. Also, how old is your computer and what motherboard do you have?
  • edited February 2006
    bobell wrote:
    Sounds like a messed up OS to me. Might be time to reinstall your operating system.

But first, confirm that it is an software problem by setting your CD-ROM as a slave to your C: drive. If it works there, move the ribbon from the primary IDE connector to the secondary IDE and reboot. Does your BIOS recognise the drives? If not, your secondary IDE channel is most likely dead. Time for a new Motherboard.

Bob
    well thats a funny thing u asked cause the bios doesnt recognize it at all but when i fooling around with it the other day i hit eject on one of the burning programs and to my surprize the damn thing ejected so it does find it but it doesnt say it on the bios and when i left the blank cd in the system tryed looking for a os on it when it started up. i have no idea what this means but yeah i need to figure it out soon so i can start using my cd-rom again. life isnt the same without cds
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2006
    If the BIOS is not recognizing the drive you need to check the settings, the cable, and the jumper on the drive.