OCing 3200+ venice (air cooled...sadly)

edited January 2006 in Hardware
I was able to play around with my OCing utility and get my 3200+ from 2.0ghz to 2.6ghz on stock AMD cooling which was satisfactory, except for the fact that my cpu's @ 60C under full load.

I was just wondering, how can I lower my CPU temp without dropping my cpu speed too much? Without increase the Vcore, I can get my cpu to 2.3 ghz stable @40 C but I need the extra speed as I play FEAR and HL2 on very high settings.

I have good case cooling with 3 generic 80 mm fans, 1 front and 2 back so general case air flow is good. Do I have to drill a hole in the side of my case and installed a fan there? I thought that only help video card cooling but it might help my cpu as well?

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    You'll never get better cooling with that heatsink i'm afraid. My choice would be a Thermaltake Big Typhoon heatsink. It comes wiht a really quiet fan and if you seat it properly and have normal room temps, you should see up to 15c drop at your highest clock. You can always try and reseat the stock cooler with new fresh tim, but i doubt it will help that much.
  • edited January 2006
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    You'll never get better cooling with that heatsink i'm afraid. My choice would be a Thermaltake Big Typhoon heatsink. It comes wiht a really quiet fan and if you seat it properly and have normal room temps, you should see up to 15c drop at your highest clock. You can always try and reseat the stock cooler with new fresh tim, but i doubt it will help that much.

Well, the problem is I used a adhesive thermal paste and the stock heatsink is glued onto my cpu...

Edit:
    The Adhesive is from arctic silver
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Ehhh? Serious?
    May i ask why?
  • edited January 2006
    I had a tube of it left from last use, so i did want to go out and buy another tube of lets say arctic silver 5 or something. O well, I guess I'll let my cpu run @ 60C. Shouldn't be too much of a problem unless it significantly reduces the life span of my cpu?