harddrive installation

edited January 2006 in Hardware
Hello all, I'm thinking about adding one more hard drive, but all my bays are already occupied. So I'm thinking about taking off one CD drive and replace that with a hard drive. Can I do that? Their cages are different and I'm not sure if the ribbon wire connecting to the CD drive is the same as the hard drive. Thanks.

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited January 2006
    you don't want a modern hardrive on the same cable as a cd/dvd is that what your asking?

BAD, BAD, BAD idea.

Pick up a pci ide controller for 15 bucks on ebay. hang it off there.

You can get drive rails that let you bolt a HD into the cdrom bay no problem. Just don't attach it to the same cable.

Tex
  • edited January 2006
    I'm not sure, but I was thinking about disconnecting the CD drive and reconnect a hard drive. I don't know anything about PCI controllers and stuff. Since I'm mostly just looking for an extra bay to put in another harddrive, is it a good idea just to get another computer case?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited January 2006
    and I told you that you should NOT connect a cd and a hard drive on the same cable. I thought I made that as clear as possible. Perhaps not. DO NOT connect a cd/dvdrom on the same cable. Sorry I just don't know how else to say it??

You buy a cheap additional controller card for 15 bucks and connect the cable to there. You get a adapter to bolt the hard drive into the cdrom bay. If you want I'll pick you out one to order. ITS EASY to install.

adapters for the drive to bolt in where the cdrom was cost like 3 bucks.

Tex
  • edited January 2006
    yeah what's a good controller card? Thanks