Amazing thermal paste ...

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited January 2006 in Hardware
While thumbing thru madshrimps I noticed this comparrison thread on thermal pastes here ...5C lower temps that arctic silver.

Has anyone in the UK tried this stuff?

Comments

• edited January 2006
    That's interesting, Chris. I would be worried about conductivity though. I've also been reading about some low melting alloy metallic TIMs that Joe at the Overclockers.com website has done a few articles on. Here's the last article he's done on these metallic alloy TIMs. Looks pretty encouraging to me, seeing the performance of these metallic TIMs and you wouldn't have to worry about these running and dripping in a vertical environment like that liquid metal stuff.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I'm surprised that a difference in thermal paste conductivity makes so much of a difference these days where all the new CPUs have heatspreaders on them... it seems like the interface between core and heatspreader would be the bottleneck if you're using something as good as AS.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited January 2006
    Very interesting stuff!

I agree with you GH, the IHS is the weakest link in many situations.. I got a 9'C drop on my Opteron when I popped the top, and some people have seen even larger drops. I think a good TIM plays a much larger role without the IHS, or on a bare-core CPU.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    That's interesting, Chris. I would be worried about conductivity though. I've also been reading about some low melting alloy metallic TIMs that Joe at the Overclockers.com website has done a few articles on. Here's the last article he's done on these metallic alloy TIMs. Looks pretty encouraging to me, seeing the performance of these metallic TIMs and you wouldn't have to worry about these running and dripping in a vertical environment like that liquid metal stuff.

Cool article I'd like to check some of that out myself.

I'm very satisfied w/ my AS5 but if I could shave another 5-10C just by changing TIMs heck I'm all for it ...provided it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    It does sound pretty good ! I would like to play with it as well.

I wonder about the cost ???

csimon wrote:
    ...provided it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

How about 2 arms ?

Scott
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    6.90 Euros