Moved Computer - Now Dim video

edited January 2006 in Hardware
I just moved my computer (Dell 8200 - couple of years old). Now that I reconnected the monitor and cpu, the display is now super dim even though my monitor brightness is set to max (samsung 710 MP lcd).

I thought that something was wrong with the monitor, but when I switch the display to TV or other video input, it is bright as normal.

Any ideas? Could the video card have been damaged but still be producing a signal that will give a display but just dimmer?

thanks.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Make sure the video card is seated right and that there is nothing like a piece of hair or dust in the video card socket. Also check end of video cable for a bent pin. Possible card itself got damaged, but more likely something in seating or contacts somewhere.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    try another monitor if you can ...you may have dislodged the backlight or something.
  • edited January 2006
    Thanks straight_man and csimon.
    I've done it all to no avail yet.
    I "know" that the problem isn't on the cpu or the cable side - another monitor with the same cable shows the image just fine.
    The problem monitor shows images from its s-video and composite video inputs just fine as well.

Could the vga input be damaged?
    Is this a high or low cost repair?
    Or am I stuck with a smallish flat panel tv?

thanks.