Options

Good info on AMD 64 mobiles and mobos

edited January 2006 in Hardware
I found this site http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=1321894

and it talks all about the mobile processors and such, I thought it was very helpful so im just sharing.

I have one quesiton. Where they say Epox 8KDA3+ [AGP/PCI Lock, VCore via vmod, VDimm, LDT; Tested with Athlon 64 DTR 1.5v] - will NOT boot with shipping BIOS. What that means is that you have to get *another* DESKTOP CPU and flash to the new 9/13/04 BIOS. Then, with the desktop CPU still in the mobo you need to enter the BIOS and set the multiplier to 4x. At that point switch out the desktop CPU with the DTR and boot up. The system will boot up to 800mhz at 1.1v. From there enter the BIOS and adjust voltage to 1.55v and then adjust FID according to your CPU's default speed and you should be set.

I did get that board for my mobile amd 64 3200 clawhammer but didnt do what it said. It also failed the memtest on all sticks. I plan to order that again and try b.c this was the only board i had some luck with. I never flashed a bios so could someone please explain to mean what you do. Thanks

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited January 2006
    Thats a good thread that I've referred to in the past. Updating the BIOS varies from board to board, but most of them simply use a floppy disk that you boot from and launch an executable. Some manufacturers (like DFI) have options to flash from Windows.

When you download the BIOS from the Epox website, there should be a readme.txt included which will have instructions. Be sure to follow them very carefully and you should be okay.

Just be very careful not to interrupt the PC while it is flashing (power disruptions can corrupt your BIOS during the flash), and always ensure your system is 100% stable (i.e. no overclocking) while flashing the bios.
  • edited January 2006
    They said put in another cpu. to install everything windows and such or just to flash it??
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited January 2006
    aznherb36 wrote:
    They said put in another cpu. to install everything windows and such or just to flash it??

From what they mention in that thread, you'll need another (non-mobile) 754 processor to initially 'flash the bios' to a newer revision. You shouldn't need to install windows, so long as you have another PC to use to download the BIOS update and create the bootdisk etc. Once the BIOS has been updated, the mobile chip should be supported and you can swap it out.

Depending on where you get the board (or if there are multiple revisions etc) it may actually come with a newer BIOS, in which case you'll be fine. Otherwise you'll need to do what they mentioned with a spare 'desktop' CPU.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    sounds like a hassle ...couldn't you just get an updated eprom (or whatever it's called)?
  • edited January 2006
    naa, i got it. I've good. I got my brothers amd 64. ya, that musta been the entire problem with all the mobos, I had to flash them:rolleyes:
  • edited January 2006
    I made serveral bootdisks and it always said boot disk failure. There is thie awardflash option but Im not sure if that can do the job. I tried different ones and doesnt work.

Can I just swap mobos?? or swap cpu's and do some configuring?