Leadtech 6800GT

ronboronbo Connecticut
edited January 2006 in Hardware
:confused2 :confused2 Well it happened. The last few days my computer started to act funny while playing games. It would freeze for a second or two in a game then go back to normal. As days went by it got worst. So yesterday when I turned the computer on the whole screen went weird. Looking at my desktop wallpaper the whole thing looked like a jigsaw puzzle coming apart. The graphics card fan was turning and the GPU temp was 39C. I pulled the card out and inserted my old Gforce 4 4600. Everything was back to normal. I bought the card last Feb. 20th of 2005 at newegg. The warranty is good for a year from newegg or the manufacture. Problem is it is a Gforce 6800GT AGP. Newegg no longer sells this card in AGP. This means I have to go back to the manufacture (Winfast Leadtec) for repair? I sure hope it can be fixed because it cost, at the time, $384 thats a lot of money for 11 months of service. The card now is only made in PCI-Express..At the time I bought the motherboard and video card PCI-Express was just starting to come out. Has anyone ever sent anything back to the manufacture and had sucess? Please say yes....

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    YES.... I had a 6600GT fail and I RMS'ed it and got a new one in less than 8 days...
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited January 2006
    ...RMS'ed it...
    Rights Management Services? :p
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited January 2006
    Thanks for the quick reply Sledgehammer70. After calling all day today I finally got to talk to a real person at Leadtech in California. They just sent a RMA form to me in the email. I am glad to hear of your success. That makes me feel a lot better. At first I was very upset..$385 for a video card and it only lasted 11 months. It was the single most expensive think I ever bought for a computer, an I just make enough money to get by. The man at Leadtech said don't worry "We can fix it"... I hope he is right because there is not another card on the market for me right now in "AGP" that can compare to my 6800GT.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited January 2006
    Rights Management Services? :p
    no....root mean square! ;D
  • edited January 2006
    I had the Leadtech 6800GT, I found the grill over the fan castrated cooling performance, and you really need an extra slot below it to let to fan breathe. Even then it had problems overheating. The problems where mostly solved for me when I replaced the white thermal paste with a silicon gell, but I wasn't able to overclock at all. Overall it was a dissapointing card, hope you get your money back.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited January 2006
    jimux, the first thing I did when I bought the card was to remove the screen that covers the fan. My card ran very cool. I have a 120mm fan blowing on the graphics card and the CPU. The video card ran 39C on idle and 41-44C after hours of heavy gamming. Heat was not an issue with this card. I really hope the folks at Leadtech can fix it because it has been an awesome card for the last 11 months. If they did refund my money I would not know what to buy now for AGP that would compare to that card? I am really not an ATI fan so I would like to stick with Nvidia...As far as overclocking. I would never overclock a graphics card for the very small performance boost. If I want to overclock I would do it on the CPU...