Problem with new PCMCIA cardbus 2.0.

MollygizerMollygizer New York, NY
edited January 2006 in Hardware
A friend of mine said this was the bewst bang for my buck, so I went with him. Now I wish I'd gone with a more known company if just for the tech support. Sigh.

Bought one of these: http://www.sabrent.com/products/specs/SBT-P2D.htm for my 21st birthday, along with a media tank (external hd, dvd/r, memory card reader) since I've been wanting a DVD burner plus my hard drive has been perpetually wonky. Right, profdlp? :) Time to back up those files, I thought!

When I first inserted the card into the PCMCIA slot with the driver CD
in, the entire computer immediately froze. So I opted to reboot without
the card installed, then download the drivers from the website. After
the reboot, I slid the card in again -- it installed, then froze.
Rebooted again. This time it ran for about 10 minutes then froze.
Rebooted. Everything seemed fine this time, until I tried to plug an
external DVD/R into it, then we froze again. Rebooted. Slid in card,
slid in device... and this time, nothing at all happened. It reads the
device now (evident by the 'safely eject hardware' option), but if I
plug the DVD or my IPod into it, it reads nothing. Nothing happens.
Often times, it'll just sit and freeze. There's several more freezing and rebooting moments I've omitted for time's sake -- but you get the idea.

The only error in my event viewer is one PCMCIA: The description for Event ID ( 10 ) in Source ( Pcmcia ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: \Device\Pcmcia0.

Not that I know what that means. But it's frozen now dozens more times than that particular error.

Any ideas as to why this wont work/why the higher powers that be are so dead set against me backing up my files? :P

-Molly