Help with daughter's computer

2»

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    That means that you have a separate card for video containing its own RAM and not leeching off the system memory.

Did the slowdown happen abruptly, occur over time, or was the computer always kind of slow?
  • chipatkinsonchipatkinson San Antonio Texas
    edited January 2006
    The computer has never been as fast as our other computers, but it seems to have slowed down recently.
    edited January 2006
    RAM is cheap right now and would make a huge improvement, especially with WinXP.

I'd use msconfig and/or the preferences/settings/options method to kill a bunch of that Yahoo stuff. Except for the IM program none of them are worth having loaded 24/7. For that matter, I'd kill any IM program which you didn't use all the time. No sense in using up system resources to send an "Away" message. Unless she really uses all those toolbars, I'd keep them from loading at startup as well; she can always open them when she wants them.

The extra MS Office stuff is of no practical use to anyone who isn't sitting in an office doing the same few tasks over and over again all day.

The ATi entries are all for tweaking the video card, which you can still do through Control Panel. The card will work just fine without them.

The extra Kodak stuff is just there to get you to use their program. Be careful to avoid removing the actual connection software, but you can safely get rid of the "always running" photo album programs.

I like to keep a lean-running machine and only open a program when I want to use it, not have it constantly running so some company can keep their icon (read "logo") sitting under my nose all the time. I'd have her go through this list and remove any of these which she doesn't use all the time:

C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
    C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ymsgr_tray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Kodak software updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
    edited January 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    RAM is cheap right now and would make a huge improvement, especially with WinXP.

I'd use msconfig and/or the preferences/settings/options method to kill a bunch of that Yahoo stuff. Except for the IM program none of them are worth having loaded 24/7. For that matter, I'd kill any IM program which you didn't use all the time. No sense in using up system resources to send an "Away" message. Unless she really uses all those toolbars, I'd keep them from loading at startup as well; she can always open them when she wants them.

The extra MS Office stuff is of no practical use to anyone who isn't sitting in an office doing the same few tasks over and over again all day.

The ATi entries are all for tweaking the video card, which you can still do through Control Panel. The card will work just fine without them.

The extra Kodak stuff is just there to get you to use their program. Be careful to avoid removing the actual connection software, but you can safely get rid of the "always running" photo album programs.

I like to keep a lean-running machine and only open a program when I want to use it, not have it constantly running so some company can keep their icon (read "logo") sitting under my nose all the time. I'd have her go through this list and remove any of these which she doesn't use all the time:

C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
    C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ymsgr_tray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Kodak software updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe

When you say remove them, I presume you mean keep the programs on the hard drive, but stop it from loading at startup. That way the program is available for use when desired, but not taking up memory when not in use.

How do I remove them from startup? Can you give me a kind of step by step on how I do that? I tried to read about it in the help section, but easily confused my little 1 KB brain!!

Thanks!
    Chip
    edited January 2006
    I should have been more clear about what I meant by "remove", but you have it exactly right; just keep them from starting automatically.

A program I've found useful is Startup Inspector. It's free and less than 1MB to download. :)
    edited January 2006
    Thanks! I used startup inspector and disabled the unneeded programs from starting automatically. That made a noticible improvement.

Question about RAM. This computer has 4 memory slots. Right now I have one stick of ram installed. It is 256MB SDRAM PC133. Am I correct in presuming that the 256MB stick of PC2700 DDR 184 pin DIMM will not work in this computer?

I'm sure showing my computer ignorance with all these questions! :-)

I really appreciate your help!

Chip
    edited January 2006
    You are correct, unless your MB has two each of both SDRAM and DDR slots. During the time that DDR was just getting started, many MB companies made boards with both.

WARNING: You can't mix & match types - if you do have both kinds of slots then you'd have to remove the existing RAM before adding the new DDR memory.

What brand and model# is the board? Tell me that and I'll see what options are available to you.
    edited January 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    You are correct, unless your MB has two each of both SDRAM and DDR slots. During the time that DDR was just getting started, many MB companies made boards with both.

WARNING: You can't mix & match types - if you do have both kinds of slots then you'd have to remove the existing RAM before adding the new DDR memory.

What brand and model# is the board? Tell me that and I'll see what options are available to you.

I'm not sure what brand or model the board is. I did an online scan and it told me there are 4 memory slots and only one filled. How would I find out the brand and model number?
    edited January 2006
    You'll just have to look around on the board. I just ID'd a MB that had nothing stamped on it but GA-7DX. I knew that the GA meant it was a Gigabyte board. A quick google search for GA-7DX confirmed it.

Basically, anything which is stamped on the board which you know is not just a label for a particular component might provide a clue.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited January 2006
    Found it! Tool me 20 mins but I remebered the site :D

This site, PCSERVICECALL, has some good info. It has all the hardware specs for OEM computers and so on.

Chip, have a look and see if your Laptop is listed. If so, then it should have the hardware specs which you can tell Prof :)
    edited January 2006
    Found it! Tool me 20 mins but I remebered the site :D

This site, PCSERVICECALL, has some good info. It has all the hardware specs for OEM computers and so on.

Chip, have a look and see if your Laptop is listed. If so, then it should have the hardware specs which you can tell Prof :)

Tried the pcservicecall site, but my PC is a generic model...no name...purchased from CompUSA so I couldn't get info on it from that site.

Looked at some of the literature that came with the computer...says the mainboard has a socket-462 processor for an amd K7 type cpu. Says it uses 168-pin SDRAM memory modules. Says is a socket A M810 model.

Does any of that help?
    edited January 2006
    There appear to be many versions of that board, which is made by PCChips. The manual I found says it only has two RAM slots, though.

Are all the slots identical? The main thing to look for in this case are the notches at the bottom of the groove where the memory is installed. Do all the slots have two notches, one notch, or a pair of each? If you have both types on the board which kind is your current stick of RAM using?
This discussion has been closed.