Weird Issues Installing FEAR

pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
edited January 2006 in Gaming
So my sister got me the FEAR Directors Edition for Christmas. A few days ago I put the DVD in the drive and it won't run at all. Autorun doesn't work, it won't run the setup file, nothing. It tells me both files are not valid Win32 files yet it lets me explore the CD AND open every other file on the CD. I figure its because I'm running a spare nasty 1st gen DVD rom on the computer because I gave my new one away to a friend.

Figuring my best solution is to buy a new DVD rom I go ahead and do that. Just put it in today, go to run the program and it does the same thing. Now I'm really confused so I copy the setup and autorun stuff to the desktop. Lo and behold it runs the programs. Then I copy the whole thing over to the desktop and run setup and the whole program runs now.

So I guess I fixed it and got it running, but I just found this very strange. Everything else has worked in my computer except for this one DVD. Anyone ever had this happen before or even heard of it?? I just can't understand why I can see the files and even open them on the DVD but I can't open the setup or autorun. Sounds like I almost got a coaster.

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    pseudonym wrote:
    So my sister got me the FEAR Directors Edition for Christmas. A few days ago I put the DVD in the drive and it won't run at all. Autorun doesn't work, it won't run the setup file, nothing. It tells me both files are not valid Win32 files yet it lets me explore the CD AND open every other file on the CD. I figure its because I'm running a spare nasty 1st gen DVD rom on the computer because I gave my new one away to a friend.

Figuring my best solution is to buy a new DVD rom I go ahead and do that. Just put it in today, go to run the program and it does the same thing. Now I'm really confused so I copy the setup and autorun stuff to the desktop. Lo and behold it runs the programs. Then I copy the whole thing over to the desktop and run setup and the whole program runs now.

So I guess I fixed it and got it running, but I just found this very strange. Everything else has worked in my computer except for this one DVD. Anyone ever had this happen before or even heard of it?? I just can't understand why I can see the files and even open them on the DVD but I can't open the setup or autorun. Sounds like I almost got a coaster.
    Sounds like bad media mate. Just take it back to the store and get it changed :)
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Well copying it to the HD, installing it, and then running it actually works. Its able to authenticate the CD, just not run the install program from it. O well, long as it works I'm a happy camper.

In a related note, FEAR is a pretty frickin sweet game. Love it.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited January 2006
    Yeah FEAR rocks. Multiplayer experience reminds me so much of Quake, too bad there's only 2 CTF maps. Are you running Alcohol or any other CD/DVD emulator? That could have been the problem with your install.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    DogSoldier wrote:
    Yeah FEAR rocks. Multiplayer experience reminds me so much of Quake, too bad there's only 2 CTF maps. Are you running Alcohol or any other CD/DVD emulator? That could have been the problem with your install.

No, I read that can cause a problem but I'm not running anything like that.